Magnolia Park Super Neighborhood is located west of I-610, East Loop Freeway, and south of Buffalo Bayou. Magnolia Park was laid out in 1890 on Harrisburg Road across Bray's Bayou from Harrisburg and seven miles downstream from Houston. It was named for the 3,750 magnolias that developers planted there. Magnolia Park also borders the Houston Ship Channel just south of the Turning Basin, the location of some of the first wharves built when Houston became a deep-water port in 1913, and it is one of Houston’s oldest Hispanic neighborhoods. Magnolia Park consists of almost 18,000 residents approximately. 97% of its residents are Hispanic and 87% of them speak Spanish at home. In addition, half of the residential properties in the neighborhood are owner-occupied (47%) and 22% of parcels are undeveloped.
TBD Planning and Development
- Phone: 832.393.6600
- Fax: 832.393.6647
TBD, Neighborhood Liaisons Mayor's Citizens Assistance Office
Neighborhood Support Team (NST)
The first step in Complete Communities is to connect with community leaders in the area. It is vital that the Complete Communities initiative connect with each neighborhood's civic leaders and organizations to understand their strengths, their connections within the community, and their perspectives on the needs of the neighborhood. Local civic leaders have the pulse of the community and know the assets and concerns better than the City alone.
We rely on the NST to be our partners in this process by providing guidance to the public engagement approach in the area. We need to hear their voices and depend on the NST to ensure widespread participation from the community. Leaders should represent a constituency, are supported by that group and have some engagement capacity.
If you would like to participate in the NST, contact your planner.
Known Community Resources
- Greater Magnolia Pineview Place
- Civic Club Fullerton Estates - not active
- LISC GO Neighborhoods
- Community Family Centers
- Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Church
- Tabernáculo de Vida Houston
- Iglesia Fe y Doder
- Buffalo Bayou Partnership
- American Legion Post #472
Existing Neighborhood Plans:
- East End Community Voices
- East End Strategy 2017
- Greater East End Economic Development Strategy Report 1 of 2
- Greater East End Economic Development Strategy Report 2 of 2
- Master Plan for Buffalo Bayou and Beyond
- Magnolia Park: Healthy Community Design Ideas Book, 2013
- METRO TOD Report: East End Corridor
- TIRZ #23 Project Plan: Harrisburg Zone
Sign-up For the Newsletter
Use our Sign-up Form to get news and updates delivered to your inbox.