When the City of Houston thrives, the entire nation is lifted by its success. The City of Houston and the federal government are essential to each other, and each benefit from a strong partnership.
To continue serving in its essential economic and cultural role for the United States, the City of Houston requires investment by the federal government. We require investment both to expand upon opportunities and to mitigate against the potential damage of a disaster like Hurricane Harvey – a disaster we know is somewhere on the horizon. If we do not, we are just funding for future failure.
To be an effective partner, our federal officials need to know exactly what the City needs the federal government to do to keep Houston strong. This page serves as a guide for the City of Houston’s advocacy to the federal government, including the White House, federal agencies, and the U.S. Congress.
We also seek to educate members of the public on the City of Houston’s expectations from the federal government. Members of Congress and the Executive Branch do not work for city government. They work for their constituents – who are also City of Houston residents. We want City residents to know how they can encourage their federal representatives to act in ways that can assist their city government work best.
We look forward to working together with our federal delegation and federal officials for a better city for all Houston residents.
- Near Northwest Management District WLY Phase 2 Support Letter - January 6, 2023
- BCM - FCC National Broadband Map Extension - January 6, 2023
- Mayor Turner supporting ARPA-H in Texas - April 11, 2022
- Earmarks for the City of Houston – March 10, 2022
- Earmarks for the Congressional Delegation – March 10, 2022
- Climate Mayors and National League of Cities on EV Charging Stations – January 28, 2022
- White House IIJA Funding Update 01.21.2022
- CARES Act Funding Overview – November 9, 2020
- Congress: Act now to forge more resilient communities. -- October 26, 2021 (link opens in a new tab)
- Mayor Turner and Big City Texas Mayors supporting the Bipartisan Infrastructure Framework – July 16, 2021
- Mayor Turner and Climate Mayors on Infrastructure Bill - July 13, 2021
- Mayor Turner and Texas Mayors on American Rescue Plan Recapture to the Texas Congressional Delegation - June 29, 2021
- Mayor Turner to the Executive Commissioner of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission on the 1115 Waiver and Medicaid Expansion – June 25, 2021
- Houston Forensic Science Center to Senators Grassley & Durbin on fentanyl policy – April 8, 2021
- Houston Forensic Science Center to Senator Cornyn on fentanyl policy – April 13, 2021
- Mayor Turner and other Mayors supporting City and State Diplomacy Act – September 17, 2020
- Mayor Turner letter to Postmaster Corey Williams – September 2, 2020
- Mayor Turner letter to Speaker Pelosi on US Postal Service - August 19, 2020
- Mayor Turner to HUD Secretary Carson on Discrimination against the Transgender Community – July 24th, 2020
- Mayor Turner and US Conference of Mayors Executive Committee on Defense Production Act – March 30th, 2020
- Mayor Turner Letter to Speaker Pelosi and Leader McConnell supporting immediate restaurant relief – March 17th, 2020
- Mayor Turner Letter to Speaker Pelosi & Leader McConnell Supporting Paid Sick Leave – March 14th, 2020
- Letter to Chair Neumayr - Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Update to the Regulations Implementing the Procedural Provisions of the National Environmental Policy Act – March 11, 2020
- Mayor Turner Letter to EPA on Cancer Cluster – February 10th, 2020
- Mayor Turner’s Statement on Expanded White House Travel Ban – February 3rd, 2020
- Mayor Turner Comments on Asylum Applications – January 13th, 2020
- Letter from Mayor Turner to Secretary of State Michael Pompeo requesting refugee resettlements in the City of Houston – December 5th, 2019
- Housing Director McCasland’s Letter to HUD Regarding HUD’s Proposed Rule Change on Mixed-Status Families – July 9, 2019
- Letter to U.S. Congress Regarding DACA and TPS from Mayor Turner and Members of City Council – June 28, 2019
- Letter of Support for HR 2088 — Energy Efficiency Conservation Block Grants (EECBG) -- May 14, 2019
- Letter to Houston Congressional Delegation - Opposing NASA Budget Cuts – March 11, 2019
- Letter of Support for HR 8 – Universal Background Check – February 26, 2019
- Letter to Trump Administration on Public Charge – December 4, 2018
- Letter on Family Separation – June 7, 2018