Houston Health Department
Special Waste Generators
For fee schedules, go to https://cohweb.houstontx.gov/FIN_FeeSchedule/default.aspx
You are a generator if you own or manage a:
- Lube Station
- Laundromat or dry cleaner
- Apartment Complex with 10 or more washing machines per section
- Any establishment with an interceptor (grease trap, lint trap, oil/water separator, lift station, grit trap, reclaim etc.)
- Septic tank (residential and commercial)
List of Permitted Transporters and Pressure Washers
Residential Septic Tank Waste Generators: Domestic septic tank waste generates are required to register their septic tanks before a city of Houston permitted waste hauler will evacuate the septic tank. There is no fee for a first time registration, but in the event the certificate of registration is lost, then a replacement fee will be assessed.
Certificate of Registration Form
As of MAY of 2007 Section 47-512(b) of the City of Houston Code of Ordinances mandates that every interceptor located within the incorporated City limits MUST be fully evacuated at least on a quarterly basis (every 90 days) unless a Notice of Waiver is submitted and approved.
BEFORE your trap is cleaned you MUST:
- Have current and valid Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) permit posted in public’s view for verification
- Select a waste transporter that is permitted to transport waste within the City of Houston limits (permitted transporter list available in the forms drop down menu on this page)
- Make sure the truck has valid City of Houston registration decals (see decal example)
AFTER your trap is cleaned you MUST:
- Inspect and verify the trap is clean and completely empty before you sign the manifest
- Make sure your sample well is clean
- Make sure the correct capacity of the trap is noted on the manifest
- Sign the “generator” portion of the manifest
- Retain the Generator copy of manifest from your transporter
- Retain the Return Generator copy of manifest within 15 days of pump out from the transporter
NOTE: PLEASE KEEP GENERATOR AND RETURNED GENERATORS COPIES OF WASTE MANIFEST ONSITE FOR 5 YEARS.
Non-compliance with Chapter 47 Article XI can lead to the issuance of a Notice of Violation or citation for each offense committed.
Citation fines range from $250 - $2000 per violation
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOUR INSPECTION:
All establishments with interceptors will be inspected on a routine basis or if a complaint is reported. There will be no notification for inspections. During an inspection, the City’s investigator will need to be provided the following documents:
- Original Fats, Oils, and Grease Permit
- Yellow and white copies of waste manifests for the past 5 years
- Invoices from permitted Biological pre-treatment company (if applicable)
- Notice of Waiver (if applicable)
- Copies of previous inspections
Investigator will check your trap, if necessary, and sample well to ensure that your discharge is consistent with the mandated parameters. Your dumpster, rendering oil bin, and surrounding area will also be checked for proper maintenance and upkeep. Upon completion of inspection, you will be asked to sign inspection form and citation when applicable. Copies of the inspection form will be given to you for your records.
- Permit application for interceptor (grease/grit/lint) trap (FOG application)
- Notice of waiver application for: reduction to minimum 180-day interceptor cleaning frequency (FOG exemption)
- Certificate of Registration Form
7:30 AM – 3:30 PM
Phone: (832) 393-5100
Payment is accepted in the form of check, money order, or major credit cards excluding American Express.
Must bring your account number (located on Food Dealer’s Permit), or business name and address.
NOTE: Permits are valid for 1 year from the food dealer permit issue date and MUST be renewed annually.
(Apartments, carwash, lube station, Laundromat, commercial septic tank etc.):
7427 Park Place,
Houston, TX 77087
Monday – Friday
7 am - 12pm or 1 pm - 3:30 pm
Phone: (832) 393-5740
NOTE: Permits are valid for 1 year from the issue date and MUST be renewed annually.