Houston Health Department
Food Manager and Food Handler Certification
The Houston Health Department's Food Manager and Food Handler Certificate classes prepare and certify individuals to become food service managers and handlers.
Food Handler and Manager Online Certification
Who is a Food service Manager?
A food service manager is a person who has demonstrated that he or she has the knowledge, skills and abilities required to protect the public from foodborne illness by means of successfully completing a certified food manager examination and becoming certified, according to Texas Administrative Code Rule §229.176
Who is a food Handler?
A food handler is an individual working with unpackaged food, food equipment or utensils, or food-contact surfaces, according to Texas Food Establishment Rule §228.2(56).
Classes and Certification
- Online training: State of Texas accredited.
- Classroom training: The City of Houston provides limited in-person Food Service Manager’s Certification classes at the Environmental Services Division, 7411 Park Place Blvd. The classroom course certificate is valid only in the City of Houston.
Classes for the year 2021:
English – 1st and 2nd Monday
Spanish – Each Tuesday
Chinese – January 25, May 24, and September 27
Vietnamese – March 22, July 26, and November 15
(classes may be added based on demand)
- Reciprocity: Food personnel who have a current accredited national or State of Texas food manager safety card/certificate must also obtain the City of Houston Food Service Manager’s Certification. Complete an application at the Houston Health Department office; submit the certificate for confirmation of reciprocity and photo identification.
If approved, pay the associated fee.
- Optional exam: This one-hour, exam-only option is for people who have knowledge of current food safety practices or have prepared by studying the course manual. Call 832-393-5100 for reservations.
Food Manager or Handler (classes in houston, tx)
Registration and prepayment are required for all classes. Class size is limited.
- Register for either a food manager or food handler class in Houston
- Register by phone: 832-393-5100 (Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
class Fees (subject to change) and how to pay them
- Fees: Fees: Food Manager $83.22/Food handler $11.89/Exam only $84.69
- Pay online: After submitting the online registration form, you will be emailed payment instructions.
- Pay in person by money order, business check, cashier's check, credit or debit card (no personal checks or cash accepted) at:
Houston Health Department
8000 Stadium Drive
Houston, Texas 77054