Houston Health Department
Special notice: The Houston Health Department is open and providing core services during the COVID-19 pandemic, with the following temporary modifications: Multi Service Centers are open with access limited to clients of existing tenants. Group events of more than 10 people are evaluated on a case by case basis to ensure disease containment and keep everyone safe. The Eligibility Assistance service, which provides screening and certification for health care programs such as Medicaid and Harris Health, is consolidating to the West End Multi-Service Center.
The Houston Health Department operates 11 multi-service centers throughout Houston. Our spacious centers provide a variety of services to Houstonians and are available for public and private events.
Our multi-service centers work in partnership with collaborating agencies to provide educational resources, direct services, referrals, access to basic needs, and other social services needs, including:
- Healthy food through our farmers markets, produce wagons, and community gardens
- Education to manage chronic diseases such as diabetes or high blood pressure
- Computer room and free WiFi
- Application help for financial assistance programs such as Medicaid, Affordable Care Act Insurance, and Harris Health Financial Assistance
- Facility rentals for private events
- Meeting space for public events and meetings
- Fitness activities and exercise equipment
- Services for seniors 60 and older (meals, benefits counseling, fitness activities)
- Help with accessing health care and social services
- Comcast Lift Zones that provide free hotspot internet access to help students get online, participate in distance learning, and do their homework.