Houston Health Department
Beat the Heat with Reliant. The summer months can put a strain on anyone's electricity budget. Reliant is proud to sponsor our 11 multi-service centers as Beat the Heat Centers, offering Houstonians places to keep cool and minimize home electricity usage while enjoying free water, snacks and entertainment. Beat the Heat Centers are open weekdays from June through September.
The Houston Health Department operates 11 multi-service centers throughout Houston. Our spacious centers provide a variety of services to Houstonians and are available for public and private events.
Our multi-service centers work in partnership with collaborating agencies to provide educational resources, direct services, referrals, access to basic needs, and other social services needs, including:
- Healthy food through our farmers markets, produce wagons and community gardens
- Education to manage chronic diseases such as diabetes or high blood pressure
- Computer room and free WiFi
- Application assistance for financial assistance programs such as Medicaid, Affordable Care Act Insurance, Harris Health Financial Assistance
- Facility rentals for private events
- Meeting space for public events and meetings
- Fitness activities and exercise equipment
- Services for seniors 60 and older (meals, benefits counseling, fitness activities)
- Help with accessing health care and social services