Houston Health Department
Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) serves to safeguard the health of low-income pregnant, postpartum, and breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5 who are at nutritional risk by providing nutritious foods to supplement diets, information on healthy eating including breastfeeding promotion and support, and referrals to health care.
You must live in Texas. You do not have to be a U.S. citizen to be part of the WIC program.
- Provide our most vulnerable women, infants and children with optimal nutrition education during the critical stages of fetal grown and early childhood.
- Serve as many eligible women, infants and children of Houston and Harris County as we possibly can with the resources provided through funds and collaborative efforts.
- Serve as an adjunct to medical care; promote breastfeeding, immunizations, and medical screening for all participants.
- Provide healthy foods and make appropriate referrals to physicians in several programs.
- Fight infant mortality by participating in community awareness activities that promote a better quality of life for the children of Houston and Harris County, so that they may become fully functioning human beings with a choice and a future.