Title: Sweeney Clock
Medium: Metal & Bricks (base)
Location: Tranquillity Park
The Sweeney Clock stands in a traffic island in the busy downtown neighborhood where the City Hall complex and the Theater District connect, across the street from Tranquillity Park, the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts, and Bayou Place (formerly, the Albert Thomas Convention Hall).
The clock was originally purchased from E.A. Howard of Boston and placed in front of the J.J. Sweeney & Co. jewelry store at Main & Prairie, where it stood from 1908 to 1928. When the store moved, the clock was relocated to the downtown Farmer’s Market in 1929. It eventually went into storage and was in danger of being sold as surplus city property in 1961. Council Member Lee McLemore saved it and had it installed in its current location in 1968. It was restored by the Colonial Dames of America for $2,000.
A base for the clock has been built using 11,000 historic bricks once used to pave Navigation Street. Due to the deterioration of its wooden parts, further refurbishment of the clock was undertaken by Metal Arts in 2002, with restoration costs of $29,200.
Art In Parks is Funded by a grant from the City of Houston through Houston Arts Alliance