Food Service and Meals Programs
Curbside Meal Program
The Curbside Meal Program for Youth Ages 1 to 18 – Monday to Friday 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
The Curbside Meal Program for youth is distributed at select sites. The program is available for children ages 1-18 provided they are in the vehicle. Meals include a snack and dinner and will be placed in vehicles for hands-free distribution.
Summer Food Service Program (S.F.S.P.)
Since 1980, H.P.A.R.D. has sponsored the Summer Food Service Program for youth ages 18 and under. The program is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (U.S.D.A.) and administered through Texas Department of Agriculture. The Walmart Foundation’s Texas State Giving Program has teamed up with H.P.A.R.D. to help alleviate childhood hunger in Houston.
The Summer Food Service Program is available at sites across Houston and Harris County, providing nutritious breakfast and lunches Monday through Friday at Houston Parks and Recreation Department Community Centers and other participating locations including: churches, apartment complexes, learning centers and other nonprofit organizations. No registration is required.
The nutritious packed lunches are prepared and delivered daily to each site and comply with federal and state requirements. They include one serving of milk, two or more servings of vegetables and/or fruits, one serving of grain or bread, and one serving of meat or meat alternative.
Interested organization who would like to register to become a Summer Food Service Site must meet and follow these requirements:
- Complete and return a Request to Participate Form now available from the Department's Summer Food Service Program Office and online.
- Participate in and pass a Pre-Operational Visit. This visit is required to determine that site locations have the facilities to provide meal service for the anticipated number of participants in attendance and the capability of conducting the proposed meal service.
- Attend a Site Supervisor's Training Session before the 2020 Summer Food Service Program operation begins. Site staff is required to attend this session and a Summer Food Service Program Operating Manual is provided.
- Participate in continuing site visits by the Summer Food Service Program Staff throughout the program's operation. These visits are conducted to ensure that the program operates smoothly and to verify information. Please note that UNANNOUNCED site visits are conducted by City and State officials.
- Site Supervisor maintains accurate records of meals that are served. No billing or food preparation is involved. The Summer Food Service Program is FREE for youth.
|Ages:||18 and under|
|Program Dates||June 14 - August 13, 2021|
|Time:||11:00 am – 12:00 pm (breakfast)
1:00 pm – 3:00 pm (lunch)
|Location:||H.P.A.R.D. Community Centers, churches, apartment complexes, learning centers, and other non-profit organizations|
(in English or Spanish)
|Call 2-1-1 For Locations
After School Meal Program (A.S.M.P)
The After-School Meal Program provides a snack and supper to youth ages 1 – 18 who participate in programming at one of 48 H.P.A.R.D. community centers or at approved partner sites. It is funded by a grant from the Texas Department of Agriculture (T.D.A.) Child and Adult Care Food Program (C.A.C.F.P.). Sites were approved by the T.D.A. based on their eligibility requirements, which designate eligible areas as those served by a school in which 50% or more of the children enrolled are eligible to receive free or reduced-price meals.
There are no enrollment requirements for the C.A.C.F.P. program. Participating youth will be served a free snack and supper between 3:00 and 6:00 pm, Monday through Friday, from September 14, 2020, through May 28, 2021. H.P.A.R.D. manages the program for the City of Houston and participating sites are sponsored under H.P.A.R.D. The facility hosting the program must provide educational or enrichment activities, be open to all children, and not limit participation or membership on the basis of the child’s ability. H.P.A.R.D. accepts registrations throughout the year from groups interested in becoming an After-School Meal Program site. Groups that would like to register to become an After-School Meal Program Site may contact Rummeka Allen at 713.676.6832.
|Ages:||1 - 18|
|Program Dates||Sept 19, 2020 - May 28, 2021,
Mon – Fri ONLY
|Time:||3:00 p.m.- 6:00 p.m.|