November 23, 2011 - In an effort to help make this the safest of holiday seasons, the Houston Police Department is encouraging citizens to pay particular attention to their surroundings during the holidays.
Police offer the following holiday safety tips while shopping:
- Stay alert to your surroundings and the people around you.
- Shop with a friend whenever possible. There is safety in numbers.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Pay for purchases with a check or credit card.
- If possible, carry only your driver’s license, necessary credit cards or personal checks.
- If you must carry a purse, do not wrap straps around your arms or shoulders. You could risk injury from a would-be purse-snatcher.
- Do not carry wallets in a back pocket.
- When possible, slip bags/purchases in a nondescript bag(s).
- Watch your purchases while eating in mall food courts; bags can be easily snatched.
- Have your car keys ready in hand before leaving the store.
- Ask shopping center security for escort to your car if you are uncomfortable walking alone.
- Glance in the back seat and under your vehicle before getting in.
While at home during the holiday:
- Keep the outside of your home well lighted with doors locked and window curtains closed.
- Do not display gifts beneath your Christmas tree to be seen from windows or doors.
- After the holidays, do not advertise gifts received by the boxes left for garbage collection. Destroy boxes and place them in sealed garbage bags.
For additional information, please contact the HPD Public Affairs Division at 713-308-3200.