> Police >
Volunteer Initiatives Program
Student Internship (SI)
The Houston Police Department Volunteer Initiative Program (VIP) has developed an unpaid internship program with many local and national universities and colleges. The Student Internship Program (SIP):
- provides qualified students with practical work experience that compliments their academic course work as well as course credit
- provides the department with an opportunity to involve students in various aspects of police work
- is designed to provide students with an opportunity to integrate theory and practice
Students from participating institutions may perform a one or two term internship under SIP.
- Criminal Justice students may perform their internship at various locations / division throughout the police department.
- Social Work students may perform their internship under the Family Violence Unit, Homicide Division, Victim Services Unit, Planning and Research Division, or the Sex Crimes Division.
Student Interns must complete and successfully pass the Police VIP Application Process.
To become a Houston Police Department volunteer, please view the VIP web page to view the functions of a volunteer, disqualifiers, and information on how to submit an online application.