Housing and Community Development Department
The City of Houston’s Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD) provides the leadership and financing to make affordable homes and neighborhood revitalization happen in Houston. Currently, the Department administers over $100 million annually in various federal, state and local programs. From investing in neighborhood parks, multifamily communities and economic development, to providing first-time homebuyer assistance and funds to serve the homeless, elderly and disabled -- HCDD works to improve the quality of life for Houston’s neighborhoods and families.
HCDD Hurricane Harvey Response
As Houstonians work to recover from Hurricane Harvey’s devastating flood waters, HCDD has been at the center of the response and recovery efforts. Since opening the George R. Brown as a shelter for over 10,000 flood survivors at its peak of occupancy, we have remained committed to helping our friends and neighbors move beyond the storm.HCDD’s disaster recovery assistance includes:
- Working with FEMA, Houston Endowment, Harris County, Coalition for the Homeless, Houston Housing Authority, New Hope Housing and other local partners, to identify and fund at least six months of rent in apartments and college dormitory-style housing for residents leaving the Red Cross shelters
- Coordinating with other city departments and Lone Star Legal Aid to resolve lease and habitability concerns between landlords and tenants in multifamily communities impacted by flooding
- NEWS: Hotel Stays for Harvey Survivors Extended to January 16th, 2018
Latest News and Announcements
Fall Open House and Public Hearing
HCDD recently held two Fall Open House + Public Hearing events at the Third Ward and Kashmere multi-service centers. To view the 2018 Action Plan Presentation click here.
|Location||Date / Time|
|Third Ward Multi-Service Center
3611 Ennis St., Houston, TX 77004
|Thursday, November 30, 2017
|Kashmere Multi-Service Center
4802 Lockwood Dr., Houston, TX 77026
|Thursday, December 7, 2017
Community Needs Survey: Didn't make it to the Fall Open House + Public Hearings? We still want to hear from you. Please go to the following link to take the survey: www.surveymonkey.com/r/hcdd2018.
SAY YES to Quality Homes for All Incomes, In All Areas!
To increase awareness of the need for affordable home development in Houston, HCDD has launched an outreach campaign entitled “Can I Be Your Neighbor?”. The campaign aims to create a well-informed community discourse through targeted educational presentations and informational materials. “Can I Be Your Neighbor” is intended to decrease misconceptions and opposition to affordable home development and promote quality homes for all incomes in all areas of Houston. To learn more about this campaign visit www.houstontx.gov/housing/SayYes.
We invite you to take a survey to give us your views on affordable homes in Houston (click here for survey link).
New Streamlined Homebuyer Assistance Program (HAP)
The City's Homebuyer Assistance Program has recently been revised with new guidelines and increased financial assistance. This program provides funds to approved applicants to assist in paying down payment, closing costs, and principal buydown on their home purchase. Visit our Homebuyer Assistance Program for full details and a list of FAQ's.
MWSBE and Section 3 Applications
Are you interested in becoming a Minority, Women and Small Business Enterprises (MWSBE) or Section 3 vendor with the City of Houston? Click on one of the links below to get started.
Key HCDD Services
Housing Dept. Links
- Housing Dept. Home Page
- About the Director
- Communications / Press Releases
- Compliance and Monitoring
- Consolidated and Annual Action Plans / CAPERs / Analysis of Impediments
- Contact Us / Helpful Phone Numbers
- Economic Development
- Fair Housing
- Housing Resource and Data Center
- Land Assemblage Redevelopment Authority (LARA)
- Public / Legal Notices
- RFP's, Applications and Downloads
Tom McCasland, Director
City of Houston Housing and
Community Development Department
601 Sawyer, Suite 400
Houston, Texas 77007
PHONE: 832.394.6200 EMAIL: email@example.com