Housing and Community Development Department
Consolidated and Annual Action Plans / CAPERs / Analysis of Impediments
Each year, the City of Houston receives four Federal entitlement grants: (1) Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), (2) HOME Investment Partnerships Grant (HOME), (3) Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS Grant (HOPWA), and (4) Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG).
We are developing five-year strategies that will guide approximately $250 million in housing and community development funding for programs and services that support low- and moderate-income Houstonians. Every five years, the City develops two strategic planning documents: Analysis of Impediments for Fair Housing Choice (AI), which serves as the basis for fair housing planning in Houston, and Consolidated Plan, which is a housing and community development plan. With your help, let’s work together to create goals and strategies that help improve our neighborhoods and overcome historic patterns of segregation and housing discrimination in Houston! Here’s how you can help:
- Be informed! Learn more about housing discrimination, fair housing, and housing affordability in Houston Click graphics below for full-sized .pdf versions!
- Tell us what you think! Take our Housing and Community Needs Survey (Español, Chinese, Vietnamese).
Give your community a voice! Become a Fair Housing Ambassador and lead community engagement activities in your neighborhood! Learn more and apply today!
- Bring the conversation to you! Call 832.394.6201 to schedule a community meeting or invite us to one of your regularly scheduled meetings for a short presentation!
- Keep in touch! Like us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter and get information about our upcoming meetings and progress towards the development of the AI and Con Plan
AI and Con Plan Development Resources
- Where You Live Matters’ Information Brochure
- Community Needs Survey flyer
- Mapping Tool: HUD Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing
- Mapping Tool: HUD Community Planning and Development
The following plans and reports are also required by HUD of any jurisdiction receiving federal entitlement grants:
Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice (AI) - a review of public and private policies, practices and procedures for possible barriers to fair housing choice. It serves as the basis for fair housing planning.
Consolidated Plan (Con Plan) - a five-year strategic plan that identifies long-term goals and objectives for improving housing, public facilities, infrastructure, and quality of life for low- and moderate-income Houstonians. The goals and strategies outlined in the Consolidated Plan are the result of an extensive public participation process.
Annual Action Plan - an annual update to the Consolidated Plan. It provides a summary of specific actions, activities, and programs that will take place during the upcoming program year to address the priority needs and goals identified in the Consolidated Plan. The Action Plan also includes annual allocations and budgets.
Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER) - the year-end report. At the close of each program year, the City uses its CAPER to inform the public on how entitlement funds have been expended. It evaluates the City’s performance in carrying out the identified goals in the annual Action Plan.
Citizen Participation Plan - the strategy for public participation that incorporates citizen input into the planning, implementation, coordination and assessment of HCDD’s projects and activities. Click here to view the current Citizen Participation Plan.
- 2019 Annual Action Plan
- Presentation: Spring Open House + Public Hearing
- Spring Public Hearing Flyer (English, Español)
- Draft 2019 Annual Action Plan
- Presentation: Fall Open House + Public Hearing
- 2018 Annual Action Plan
- Spring Open House and Public Hearing Presentation
- Spring Open House and Public Hearing Flyer (English) (Español)
- Fall Open House and Public Hearing Presentation
- 2017 CAPER
- 2017 Annual Action Plan
- Information about Public Hearings and Comment Period
- Video of December 5, 2016 Public Hearing
- Presentation: Fall Public Hearings
- 2016 End of Year Assessment Letter
- 2016 CAPER
- 2016 Annual Action Plan (updated 11.30.2016)
- Presentation: Spring 2016 Public Hearings
- Presentation: Fall 2015 Public Hearings
- End of Year Assessment Letter
- 2015 CAPER
- 2015-2019 Consolidated Plan and 2015 Annual Action Plan (updated 11.30.2016)
- 2015 Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice
- What is the Consolidated Plan, Action Plan and Analysis of Impediments? (English) (Español)
- Summary of 2015-2019 Consolidated Plan Goals (English) (Español)
Fair Housing Forum - January 29, 2015
- Fair Housing Forum Morning Session
- Fair Housing Forum Keynote Speaker
- Fair Housing Forum Afternoon Session
- Fair Housing Information
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- 2014 End of Year Assessment Letter
- Draft 2014 CAPER (.pdf revised 09.09.15)
- 2014 Annual Action Plan (.pdf)
- 2013 End of Year Assessment Letter
- 2013 CAPER (.pdf, 10.08.2014)
- 2013 Annual Action Plan (HUD approved, updated 11.30.2016)
- Citizen Participation Plan (updated 09.11.2013)
- 2012 End of Year Assessment Letter
- Draft 2012 CAPER (.pdf, updated 11.13.2013)
- 2012 Action Plan (.pdf, updated 12.19.2012)
- 2011 End of Year Assessment Letter
- 2011 Annual Action Plan(11.02.2011)
- 2011 CAPER (11.13.2012)