Housing and Community Development Department
Economic development programs encourage reinvestment in economically distressed neighborhoods, promote job creation and retention, and foster business development in low and moderate-income areas. The HCDD supports small business activities for low to moderate-income residents through Houston Business Development Incorporated (HBD). HBD is a non-profit organization, formerly, Houston Small Business Development Corporation, established by the City of Houston in 1986. The center provides assistance to small and emerging businesses. The HBD is located at 5330 Griggs Road in the Business Technology Center, a 140,000 square foot business, education, and job-training complex. The phone number for the HBD is 713.845.2400.
- Public Notice: Citizens Participation Plan – EDI/Section 108 (.pdf)
- Amendments – Citizens Participation Plan (.pdf)
- 806 Main Summary (.pdf)
The HBD small business services include:
- Small Business Revolving Loan Fund - Provides loans to small businesses to encourage the expansion of commercial and industrial enterprises that create jobs for low and very low-income persons.
- General counseling is available in various management areas including financial planning, marketing and sales planning. Loan packaging, business planning and procurement assistance are also available through a third party.
- Workshops and training sessions are held throughout the year on topics such as small business computerization, accounting and record keeping.
- Resource provides small business lease space and secretary services.
- The Business Information Center (BIC) - Provides a centralized location where business owners, potential entrepreneurs and individuals have access to comprehensive technical services and financial resources. A Resource Library on-site provides small business owners with an array of entrepreneurial tools including how-to videos, specialized publications, business magazines, industry surveys, a licensing directory, business start-up guides, and a computer learning center.
ENHANCED ENTEPRISE COMMUNITY
Key HCDD Services
Housing Dept. Links
- Housing Dept. Home Page
- About the Director
- Communications / Press Releases
- Compliance and Monitoring
- Consolidated and Annual Action Plans / CAPERs / Analysis of Impediments
- Contact Us / Helpful Phone Numbers
- Economic Development
- Fair Housing
- Housing Resource and Data Center
- Land Assemblage Redevelopment Authority (LARA)
- Public / Legal Notices
- RFP's, Applications and Downloads