- Call 9-1-1 to report a life or death emergency that requires an immediate
response from police, fire, or ambulance personnel.
- Be prepared to stay on the line with
the emergency dispatcher, who is trained to process your
emergency call, and who will be asking you a series of
- Be prepared to tell the dispatcher the
address where the emergency is occurring, your phone number,
any suspect or vehicle descriptions (including color,
make, model, license plate number), weapons involved,
- Remain calm and stay on the line until
told to hang up by the dispatcher.
- Do not use 9-1-1 for non-emergency situations -- this causes a delay in answering emergency calls. It is illegal to willfully abuse the 9-1-1 system.