Business Overview - Economy and Trade
Houston is home to a thriving business economy that has rapidly diversified from its strong energy base. This economic diversification includes growth in high-technology industries, medical research, health care and professional services.
Today, the Houston economy is based on a broad spectrum of industries including:
- Oil and gas exploration
- Basic petroleum refining
- Petrochemical production
- Medical research and health care delivery
- High-technology (computer, aerospace, environmental, etc.)
- Government (City, state and federal)
- International import and export
- Commercial fishing
- Film and Media
- Banking and finance
- Manufacturing and distribution
- Related service industries
Houston is home to many businesses including corporate headquarters for almost two dozen of the Fortune 500 companies. The City is friendly to entrepreneurs - new businesses that, like the companies now on the Fortune 500, began small.
In addition, many foreign countries and corporations have established a presence in Houston to access North American markets via the City's excellent distribution facilities.