Auto Theft Division - Frequently Asked Questions
- To report a vehicle in the act of being stolen, dial 9-1-1
- To report a vehicle stolen AFTER THE FACT, contact the Teleserve Unit at (713) 884-3131. You will need your drivers license information, vehicle identification number, license plate number, description of your vehicle, particularly any significant changes such as custom wheels, tires, etc. Any component parts that you can identify by serial number or personal identification number . This can include any unique markings or specific damage that you will recognize. Make every attempt to have your title or registration ready. The license plate, vehicle identification number, and an accurate description is important.
How do I add information to my auto theft report?
- To add information to an auto theft report, contact the Records Division Auto Theft Entry Section at (713) 308-8550. Please have your case number ready.
How do I find out if my vehicle has been towed or repossessed?
- To find out if your vehicle was towed/repossessed, and the storage location, contact Records Division Tow Line at (713) 308-8580. Please have your license plate or vehicle identification number ready.
How do I get a copy of an auto theft report?
- To get a copy of your auto theft report, contact the Records Division at (713) 308-8585. Please have your case number ready.
I lost my case number to my auto theft case, who do I call to get it?
- If you lost your case number to a reported auto theft, contact the Auto Theft Division at (713) 308-3500. Please have your license plate or vehicle identification number ready.