Super Neighborhood 40 - Central Southwest
NAME: Central Southwest
DATE RECOGNIZED: 8/1/2002
COUNCIL DISTRICT: K
MAYOR’S ASSISTANCE OFFICE: South
CONTACT AND MEETING INFORMATION:
Ray Washington, President
2nd Tuesday, 6:45 pm, Quarterly
Hiram Clarke Multi-Service Center
3810 W. Fuqua, 77045
Super Neighborhood 39 & 40 meet together
Not Meeting at this time
LOCATION: Central Southwest, located south of South Main and west of the South Freeway, contains a collection of subdivisions separated by undeveloped land. The northern part of the area includes an oilfield, old land fills, and many heavy industries located close to Holmes Road. To the south, pleasant 1950s neighborhoods such as Cambridge Village, Brentwood, Windsor Village, Almeda Plaza and Pamela Heights are found. The area is bisected by Sims Bayou. Mega churches serving metropolitan-wide congregations are a recent phenomenon in the area. The boundaries are Holmes Road to the north, Hwy 288 South to the east, Beltway 8 South and the city limits to the south and Hillcroft Street to the west.
COMMUNITY DESCRIPTION AND HISTORY:
- In 1892, the unincorporated town of Almeda, Texas was recorded. It was located on the (Houston) Columbia Tap Railroad. At that time Almeda was 11 miles from Houston city limits.
- In 1914, a two story brick building served the needs of students coming from Brazoria, Fort Bend, and Harris County as far north as Holmes Road.
- In 1938, the citizens voted to become part of the Houston Independent School District. Students attended San Jacinto High until Madison High School was built in 1965.
- In the 60's Petersen, Montgomery, Grissom, Hobby, Windsor Village elementary schools were built to accommodate students who until then attended Almeda School with an enrollment of 1200.
- Almeda Plaza was the first subdivision. Until then most homes were wood frame.
|•||Keswick Place-Ramblewood Park Civic Club, Inc.||web site|
|•||Southwest Manor Civic Club|
|•||Almeda Park||14201 Almeda Sch.||77047|
|•||Brentwood Park||13220 Landmark||77045|
|•||Cambridge Village Park||13000 Nitida||77045|
|•||Canterbury Village Park||12822 Northumb||77047|
|•||Forest West Park||5915 Golden Forest||77092|
|•||Maxie (Beulah) Park||2625 Monticello||77045|
|•||Minchen (Simon) Park||4900 W Fuqua||77045|
|•||Post Oak Village Park||13800 Lockway||77045|
|•||Taylor (E.R. & Ann) Park||1850 Reed||77051|
|•||Townwood Park||3403 Simsbrook||77045|
|•||Wildheather Park||14900 Whiteheather||77053|
|•||Windsor Village Park||14441 Croquet||77085|