Super Neighborhood 71 - Sunnyside
DATE RECOGNIZED: 03.06.2000
COUNCIL DISTRICT: D
MAYOR’S ASSISTANCE OFFICE: Central
CONTACT AND MEETING INFORMATION:
Sunnyside is located on southside of Houston. Its borders are Loop 610 South on the North, Hwy 288 on the West, Sims Bayou on the South and meandering through different land uses land west of Martin Luther King Boulevard.
Sunnyside is historically, an African-American community with a very rich history. However, over the last decade, this community like most other communities in Houston is becoming more diverse in its population.
- 1915 During the era of "Restricted Communities", this was the first addition south of the City of Houston, to be developed and offered exclusively for Negroes.
- 1918 Operated as a county school until 1927, Sunnyside Colored School was organized.
- 1922 First church built in Sunnyside. Mt Vernon Baptist Church.
- 1927 Sunnyside Colored School became part of the Houston Independent School District.
- 1936 Sunnyside Civic Club organized for the purpose of securing better drainage, lighting and general civic improvement.
- 1950 Created its own water district and volunteer fire department, was later taken over by the city of Houston.
- 1987 Sunnyside Civic Club purchased from the city of Houston the site of the first water district and the original site of the first fire station in Sunnyside station #46.
CIVIC CLUBS: (Updated 6/06/2022)
|•||Blueridge Civic Club|
|•||Brookhaven Civic Club||web site|
|•||East Sunny Side Court Sec III and Southland Acres Civic Club|
|•||Greater Sugar Valley, Blueridge, and Reedwood Civic Club|
|•||Kennedy Heights Civic Association|
|•||Sunnyland Civic Club||web site|
|•||The Official Sunnyside Civic Club||web site|
|•||We The People Of: Sunnyside Garden/ Bayou Estates|
|•||Bricker Park||4548 Bricker||77051|
|•||Grimes Park (Lease)||5150 Reed||77033|
|•||Jenkins (Margaret) Park||10700 Rosehaven||77051|
|•||Sunnyside Park||3502 Bellfort||77051|