Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities
- February 12, 2019 -- Mayor’s Office for People With Disabilities Co-hosts ReelAbilities Film and Arts Festival Starting Today
- Director of Mayor's Office For People With Disabilities Wins International Award
The mission of the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD) is to serve as the primary advocate for the rights and needs of citizens with disabilities. The Office also serves as a liaison between the mayor, city council, city departments and other public and private entities on matters pertaining to people with disabilities in Houston. MOPD's vision is a city where everyone understands the importance of equal participation and full inclusion of all citizens, including citizens with disabilities.
We accomplish this mission by providing and participating in programs and services which address the needs and rights of citizens with disabilities, including:
- Facilitating delivery of services - including city services
- Acting as liaison to Houston Commission on Disabilities (HCoD),City Council and other City Departments
- Making recommendations to public and private entities regarding the development of policy and legislation
- Establishing fundamental local, state and national partnerships to promote community awareness
- Administering, developing new, and participating in programs and services according to our mission
About MOPD: In Other Languages
- For past announcements, go to www.houstontx.gov/disabilities/archive.html.
Free Visual Fire Alarms for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Register for a free visual fire alarm now. Free visual fire alarms are made possible through the City of Houston Fire Department, the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities, Assistance to Firefighters Grant program and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Free Visual Fire Alarm Flyer (.pdf)
- Free Visual Fire Alarm (.pdf, English)
- Free Visual Fire Alarms (.pdf, Spanish)
Free Legal Service for People with Disabilities
South Texas College of Law Legal Clinic (STCL) - First Come, First Served! The (STCL) to provide free legal assistance to anyone in need. STCL will conduct intakes and screenings for new cases at the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center.
- 2017 STCL "Assistance with Legal Issues" Flyer (.pdf)
- 2017 STCL "Assistance with Legal Issues" Flyer (.docx)
- 2017 "Asistencia en Asunto Legales" (.pdf)
- 2017 "Asistencia en Asunto Legales" (.docx)
Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program Info – Registration is required, please. Volunteer attorneys from LyondellBasell will provide free, individual legal advice (15-20) minutes per person in several areas.