Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities
- Mayor Turner to Join 9th Annual Disability Unity & Pride Celebration Festivities This Saturday, September 30
The Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD) was created in 1993 by city ordinance, three years after the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
View 2016 Disability Awareness Month Kickoff video
The mission of the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD) is to serve as the primary advocate for the rights and needs of citizens with disabilities. The Office also serves as a liaison between the mayor, city council, city departments and other public and private entities on matters pertaining to people with disabilities in Houston. MOPD's vision is a city where everyone understands the importance of equal participation and full inclusion of all citizens, including citizens with disabilities.
We accomplish this mission by providing and participating in programs and services which address the needs and rights of citizens with disabilities, including:
- Facilitating delivery of services - including city services
- Acting as liaison to Houston Commission on Disabilities (HCoD),City Council and other City Departments
- Making recommendations to public and private entities regarding the development of policy and legislation
- Establishing fundamental local, state and national partnerships to promote community awareness
- Administering, developing new, and participating in programs and services according to our mission
About MOPD: In Other Languages
- For past announcements, go to www.houstontx.gov/disabilities/archive.html.
Free Visual Fire Alarms for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Register for a free visual fire alarm now. Free visual fire alarms are made possible through the City of Houston Fire Department, the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities, Assistance to Firefighters Grant program and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Free Visual Fire Alarm Flyer (.pdf)
- Free Visual Fire Alarm (.pdf, English)
- Free Visual Fire Alarms (.pdf, Spanish)
Free Legal Service for People with Disabilities
South Texas College of Law Legal Clinic (STCL) - First Come, First Served! The (STCL) to provide free legal assistance to anyone in need. STCL will conduct intakes and screenings for new cases at the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center.
- 2017 STCL "Assistance with Legal Issues" Flyer (.pdf)
- 2017 STCL "Assistance with Legal Issues" Flyer (.docx)
- 2017 "Asistencia en Asunto Legales" (.pdf)
- 2017 "Asistencia en Asunto Legales" (.docx)
Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program Info – Registration is required, please. Volunteer attorneys from LyondellBasell will provide free, individual legal advice (15-20) minutes per person in several areas.
Houston Commission on Disabilities meets at the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center, 1475 West Gray, Houston, TX, 77019. The meetings are in the gymnasium, at 4:00 P.M – 6:00 P.M., on the second Thursday of every month. Due to construction the front of the building, parking and access to the building is through the parking lot on the backside of the building. This is reached by the following directions: At West Gray and Waugh proceed south on Waugh, turning right on the first street on the west side (right-hand) of Waugh, this is Haddon street. Locate the first driveway on the right into a parking lot; this is the back parking area for the MMSC. Proceed to the ramp/stairs into the building, turn right on the first hallway and left into the first set of double doors. There is always an opportunity for public statements from the audience.
Mayor's Office for People With Disabilities
1475 West Gray, Box #10
Houston, TX 77019
E-Mail the MOPD at email@example.com
Free Tax Prep Program
The Neighborhood Centers Free Tax Preparation Program and the Department of Neighborhoods Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities are partnering again this year to provide free ASL interpreting by appointment to assist people who are deaf with the completion of their income tax returns. Interpreting services will be donated by Nightingale Interpreting Services.