Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities
Houston Commission on Disabilities
In recognition of the fact that the needs and rights of people with disabilities are of vital concern to the City of Houston, the Houston Commission on Disabilities was created in 1993. The 12 members of the Commission are appointed by the Mayor and subject to City Council confirmation. The Director of the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities and the City's Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator are designated by the Mayor to be non-voting ex-officio members.
2018 COMMITTEE MEETING DATES
The Houston Commission on Disabilities meets every second Thursday of the month from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., unless otherwise noted, at the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center, 1475 West Gray, and Houston, TX 77019. The first 2018 meeting date is January 11.
If you have an accommodations request to participate fully in the meeting proceedings, please contact the MOPD offices either via phone 832 394 0814, or email email@example.com to make the request. This needs to be completed 72 hours prior to the start of the posted meeting time.
The Commission is responsible for advising and making recommendations to the mayor, City Council, department directors and the individual designated by the mayor to head the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities.
HCOD COMMITTEES -- List of HCOD Committees
Mayor's Disability Advocate of the Year Awards
The Mayor’s Disability Advocate of the Year Award (MDAYA) seeks to recognize and honor the contributions of advocates who, through their volunteerism in the community, have provided a notable effort towards one or more of the following ... More ...
(Click on each commissioner name for a brief biography)
- Tony Jones -- Position 1
- Lesa Jackson-Lazard -- Position 2
- Maria Palacios -- Position 3
- Tobias A. Cole -- Position 4
- Beningo Aceves, Jr. -- Position 5
- Richard E. Petty -- Position 6, Chair
- Tina Williams -- Position 7
- Emmanuel Arizona Eziashi -- Position 8
- Roland Bienvenu -- Position 9
- Ash Dhuka -- Position 10
- Eddie R. Jessie -- Position 11
- Shelley Townsend -- Position 12
- Frankie Sims -- Alternate 1
- Michael McCulloch -- Alternate 2
- Karen Mayer-Cunningham -- Alternate 3
- Elizabeth Delledera -- Alternate 4
- Paul Matt Russell, ADA Coordinator -- Ex-Officio Member
- Vacant -- Division Manager
HOW TO APPLY FOR HCOD
The City of Houston is accepting applications for consideration of appointment to the Houston Commission on Disabilities. DEADLINE to be considered for August appointments is July 1, 2017.
If interested in applying to this commission, please complete the application below (only available in .doc):