Houston Fire Department
Forms and Permits
Houston Fire Department's Permit Office
Houston, Texas 77002
*Some of the links listed below are .pdf files and require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing
- City of Houston Permits Fee Schedule >>>
- TIER II Reports
- Home Day Care Inspections
- Fire Alarms and Sprinkler Systems
- False Fire Alarms
- Fire Prevention Permit Application
- Fire Alarm Permit Application (see above links for more information about fire alarms)
- Unsworn Declaration Form - Needed for Fire Permit and Fire Alarm Permit Applications- replaces the affidavit.
- Hazardous Material Permits and Forms
- Additional Forms, Inspection Guides and Helpful Information
TIER II Reports
Tier2 Submit for the Current Calendar Year is now available for free download through the Texas Department of State Health Services Tier II Chemical Reporting Program Website at http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/tiertwo/
Toward the end of the State's TIER II submittal, there is an option of attaching HFD's email (email@example.com)
This will send the form to the state and to HFD simultaneously.
The Houston Fire Department will only accept electronic TIER II Reports emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The City seeks to ensure the health and safety of children and workers at child care homes. Rule 747.4907 of the Texas Administrative Code authorizes local governments to pass regulations relating to fire inspections of child care homes; therefore, City Council passed Ordinance #2011-0392 amending Chapter 10 of the Code of Ordinance. The Fire Department may inspect each licensed child-care home and each registered child-care home at least once every 12 months.
For additional information please contact the Fire Marshals at 832-394-6900.
- Aerosol Products
- Apparatus Access / Control Gates
- Aviation Facilities
- Carnival / Fair / Exhibitions
- Battery Systems
- Cellulose Nitrate Film use or storage
- Combustible Dust Producing Operations
- Combustible Fibers
- Compressed Gases
- Covered Mall Buildings
- Cryogenic Fluids
- Dry Cleaning Plants
- Explosives / Fireworks / Pyrotechnics
- Fire Alarms (Installation Permit Only)
- Fire depository, Key Boxes
- Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- Floor Finishing
- Fruit & Crop Ripening
- Fumigation & thermal Insecticidal Fogging
- Hazardous Materials
- High Piled Storage
- Hot Work Operations
- Industrial Ovens
- Lumber Yards & Woodworking Plants
- Liquid or Gas Fueled Vehicles or Equipment in Assembly Buildings
- LP - Gas
- Misc. Combustible Storage
- Open Burning
- Open Flames and Candles
- Organic Coatings
- Places of Assembly
- Pyroxylin Plastics
- Motor Vehicle Fuel-Dispensing Stations
- Rooftop Heliports
- Spraying or Dipping
- Storage of Scrap Tires & Tire Byproducts
- Temporary Membrane Structures, Tents & Canopies
- Tire-rebuilding Plants
- Waste Handling
- Asphalt Kettles & Roof Torching Operations
- Wood Products
Inspection, Test and Maintenance" (ITM) tags and labels for Fire Alarm systems, Sprinkler Systems and Extinguishing systems - information may be obtained from the The State of Texas Fire Marshal's website at: http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/fire/fmli.html
- Sample Letter of Intent to Comply with City of Houston Sprinkler Ordinance, per Fire Code Appendix J
- The COH Fire Code "Appendix J" - Effective 12/31/05 - retroactive high-rise building sprinkler ordinance
- Procedure for Remodeling and Demolition of Buildings with a Required Fire Alarm System
- Fire Alarm System Maintenance During Construction in Buildings
- Fire Alarm Permit Application (.docx)
- Unsworn Declaration Form - Needed for Fire Permit and Fire Alarm Permit Applications - replaces the affidavit. - needed for Fire Alarm Permit Applications
The City desires to reduce the number of false fire alarm notifications by encouraging the proper design, installation, operation and maintenance of the alarm systems. An annual Fire Alarm Permit and False Fire Alarm Fees were enacted July 1, 2002.
For fee schedules, go to www.houstoncityfees.org
Classification of Alarm System:
Group A- an alarm system with no more than 10 alarm actuating devices.
Group B- an alarm system with not less than 11 or more than 100 alarm actuating devices; and
Group C- an alarm system with 101 or more alarm actuating devices.
False Response Fire Alarm Fees:
$402.55 for each false fire alarm response by the fire department in excess of the following, during each permit period:
Group A- five false fire alarms
Group B- fifteen false fire alarms
be mailed to the permit holder, or person in control if there is no valid permit. Fees are due within thirty days following the date that the city places the false alarm confirmation notice in the mail, unless a hearing has been requested. If not paid within 90 days, a 30 % penalty is assessed.
If the permit holder, or the person in control if there is no valid alarm permit, may request a hearing within 30 days following the date that the city places the false alarm confirmation notice in the mail. The sole purpose of the hearing is to ascertain whether or not the disputed alarm was false. The requests for hearing shall specify facts and have documents and records attached that prove the alarm was not false.
Violations: When an act is prohibited or is made or declared to be unlawful or an offense or misdemeanor or the doing of any act is required or the failure to do anything or act is prohibited the violation of the provision shall be and constitute a misdemeanor punishable, upon conviction, by a fine of not less that $250 nor more than $2000. Each violation shall constitute and be punishable as a separate offense.
In addition to prohibiting or requiring certain conduct of individuals, it is the intent to also hold a corporation, partnership, association, limited partnership, limited liability corporation or other such entity criminally responsible for acts or omissions performed by an agent acting on its behalf.
Revocation of permit:
Failure to make payment in full to the city of any fees due within 30 days of the date the city has mailed a notice to the permit holder that the fees are due and owing or within 15 days following the date of mailing of the decision notice where an appeal has been timely filed; or
The permit holder accrues more that twice the number of false fire alarms for the applicable group during the permit period; or
Or the existence of any fact or circumstances that would be a basis for denial of an application for issuance or renewal of a permit, or the permit was otherwise obtained or issued in error.
APPEALS: A person may appeal the denial or revocation of a permit by delivering a written request for an appeal to the Fire Chief (1002 Washington, Houston, TX 77007) not more than 15 days after the first d ate of mailing written notice of denial or revocation. The notice of denial or revocation shall be sent to the permit holder or applicant by certified mail, return receipt requested, addressed to the permit holder or applicant at the alarm site address, or to such other address specified by them in writing to the fire department.
Permit term - permits are issued for a year and expire a year from date of issue.
- Permits are not transferable
- City Ordinance exempts Single Family Residential Dwellings from obtaining a Fire Alarm.
- False alarms occurring during a three-month period commencing on the date of the first operation of a newly installed alarm system, provided a permit has been purchased, the permit holder shall not be charged the fee nor shall the false alarm count against the number of allowable false alarms.
- For more information contact the Fire Department Fire Alarm office at 1002 Washington, Houston , TX 77007 or call 832.394.8811
If the permit is for a hazardous material or activity an additional form must be completed. Affidavit must be notarized.
Forms for application purposes:
When required by inspection personnel a hazardous materials inventory statement may be required. A hazardous materials inventory statement is no longer required for permit applications.
Emergency / Life Threatening Calls
Houston Emergency Center
1801 Smith Street, 7th Floor
Houston, Texas 77002
A TWITTER FEED FOR HFD