Family Violence Unit - Safety Plan
Are you tired of the abuse? Ready to leave? Leaving is the most dangerous time, but here are some recommendations on how to stay safe.
Safety Plan for Victims of Domestic Violence:
Always keep some money hidden
Establish a code word with family and friends including your children
Visualize your escape route (avoid kitchen areas or locations where there are weapons)
Have extra keys for the car and home
Have important documents and items readily available by making extra copies or writing account numbers:
- Bank books, check books, credit cards, ATM cards and mortgage payment book
- Lease, rental agreement or house deed
- Social Security card, work permit, green card, passport
- Insurance papers and medical records
- Birth certificates (yours and children)
- Marriage license, divorce papers and custody papers
- Driver's license or other form of ID
- Important phone numbers
- Personal items: address book, pictures, jewelry and items of sentimental value
Have a small bag with extra clothes:
- Include medications and other important items.
- Keep handy but in a hidden place in order to leave quickly.
- For your own safety, do not announce to the abuser you are leaving.
- DO NOT hesitate to call the police.
- REMEMBER- YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO BE HIT
- REMEMBER- LEAVING CAN BE THE MOST DANGEROUS TIME
Police Department Links
- GET INFORMED
- JOIN US
- POLICE STATIONS / STOREFRONTS
- DEPARTMENT PHONE DIRECTORY
- FILE A REPORT ONLINE
- PUBLIC INFORMATION REQUEST
- HELPFUL LINKS
Family Violence Unit Links
- Family Violence Unit and Locations
- Community Agencies
- Domestic Violence Wheels
- Domestic Violence and Elder Abuse
- Family Violence and the Law
- Family Violence Services
- Houston Men Against Family Violence
- Links and Suggested Reading
- The Problem of Family Violence
- Protective Orders
- Safety Plan
- Stalking / Workplace Tips
- What's New
- Why Doesn't She Leave?
- Why Doesn't the Violence Stop?