Super Neighborhood 85 - Spring Branch Central
Your super neighborhood at-a-glance:
Southern – Spring Valley Village and I10
Eastern - Bingle Road
Northern - Hempstead Highway
Western - Blalock from I10 to Campbell Rd.
Spring Shadows Civic Club eastern boundary to Hempstead
City Of Houston Council District A
Community Venues and Schools
Spring Branch Independent School District www.springbranchisd.com
Brief history of Spring Branch
Spring Branch has a history older than the City of Houston.
In 1830, before the Allen Brothers founded Houston in 1836, a German immigrant raised his log cabin along a small stream flowing to Buffalo Bayou. That earliest settler, Karl Kolbe, was to be remembered in history, and that history would become part of the curriculum taught in the Spring Branch I.S.D.
One day a stranger stopped by Karl Kolbe’s place to rest his horse. As they walked along a small stream, the stranger inquired of its name and was told it had not been given a name. Observing the natural spring fed stream, he suggested that they call it Spring Branch. The stranger moved on, but the name remained. Through the generations, the story is told that a surveyor asked Karl Kolbe what was the name of the community. Given a moment of reflection he replied, “Spring Branch.”
In the early to mid 1840’s, four other families looking for a new life from their native Germany settled in the community. They were the families of Daniel Ahrenbeck, Jacob Schroeder, Louis Hilendahl, and Henry Hilendahl.
In 1848, the Wilhelm Rummel and Siegesmund Bauer families arrived in Galveston aboard the condemned ship Neptune. Kolbe, Ahrenbeck, and Daniel Hilendahl met and encouraged them to settle in Spring Branch. That evening they, along with five other families, held a thanksgiving service for their safe trip. August Bauer, son of Carl Bauer was appointed religious leader of the group.
In 1849 logs were cut and prepared for the first log cabin church. Left in the woods to season, the logs were stolen. At that time, a new railroad was being built, and lumber was needed for crossties. Any thought as to the whereabouts of the stolen logs is still considered to be speculation.
In 1850 new logs were cut and seasoned under the very watchful eyes of Wilhelm Rummel, who donated a quarter of an acre for the church.
In 1854, five years after the first service was held, a little log cabin church was built near the stream. Due to fire damage in 1864, the log cabin church was replaced by a small frame church. That church still stands at 9022 Long Point, just east of Campbell Road (in Spring Branch Central Super Neighborhood). A larger church now stands beside it.
Spring Branch has gone through many changes. In time, its population shifted from solely German to a broader but mostly Anglo population. Again, in time, that changed. Today, surely no area has a more diversified population than Spring Branch. Families still come, looking for a new and better way of life.
The little church now serves as a wedding chapel. That little stream of water, Spring Branch Creek, has certainly taken on some changes. Part of it now flows through large underground culverts beneath a new Harris County park. Another part is still open but lined with concrete while still another part remains in its natural form as it winds through Spring Branch and across I-10 into the Buffalo Bayou.
Civic Associations in This Area
- Binglewood Civic Club
- Binglewood 5
- Campbell Woods Civic Association
- Hollister Place Civic Club
- Holley Terrace Civic Club
- Kempwood North Civic Association
- Langwood II Civic Club
- Outpost Estates Civic Club, Inc.
- Spring Branch Estates II Civic Association
- Spring Branch Oaks Civic Association
- Springwood/Timbercreek Civic Club
- United Civic Club of Spring Branch
- Western Oaks Civic Association
- Whisperwood Townhome Association
- Yaupon Estates
- Spring Branch Medical Center
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW Post 8790)
Super Neighborhood Information:
- Meetings: First Thursday of every month at 7:00PM.
VFW - Post 8790
1560 Foley Street
Houston, TX 77055
- Catherine Barchfeld-Alexander – President
- Lois Stromberg – Executive Vice President
2108 Peppermill Rd.
Houston, TX 77080