The Department of Planning and Development regulates land development in Houston and within its extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ). The city of Houston does not have zoning but development is governed by codes that address how property can be subdivided. The City codes do not address land use.
The Department checks subdivision plats for the proper subdivision of land and for adequate street or right-of-way, building lines and for compliance with Chapter 42, the City’s land development ordinance. Development site plans are checked for compliance with regulations that include parking, tree and shrub requirements, setbacks, and access.
- The City amended Chapters 42, 33, 39 and 40 for development related items.
Click here to view the ordinance.
Use our Sign-up Form to get updates on Development Regulations delivered to your inbox.
2017 Fee Schedule – Effective January 1, 2017
In accordance with City of Houston policy, most fees will be raised by 1.0311% on January 1, 2017. The fee schedule shows current fees and fees that will become effective January 1, 2017. The new fees will apply to applications submitted on or after the effective date. Click here to see the fee schedule.
- Process Flow Chart
- Subdivision Ordinance (Chapter 42)
- Online Plat Submittal (Plat Tracker)
- Subdivision Plat Submittal Requirements
- Subdivision Plat Submittal Policies
- Ordinance Notes
- Public Hearing Guide
- Variance Guide
- Amending Plat Guide
- Surveying Requirements for Subdivision Plats
- Additional Parking Consideration
- Transit Corridor Options
- Street Paving Requirements for Shared Driveways
- Garbage Collection Plan
- Policy clarification document - Garage BL’s for corner lots in ETJ
- Chapter 42 & 26 Presentation to AIA
Site Review - 1002 Washington Ave., 3rd Floor
Located at the Houston Permit Center, 1002 Washington Avenue, the Planning and Development Department Site Plan Review is one of the steps in the building permit process. Plan Analysts review plans for new structures, additions and remodels to ensure compliance with lot size requirements, building setbacks, parking, and landscaping.
- Process Flow Chart
- Submittal Requirements
- Additional requirements for site plan review:
- Expedited Plan Review Rules
- Harris County Public Infrastructre Department: http://hcpid.org/permits/plat_welcome.html
- City of Houston Public Works & Engineering Department: Infrastructure Design Standards Manual
If you don't find the information you need or if you have questions about the information presented here, please call the Planner of the Day at 832.393.6624. Thank you!
- Home Page
- Complete Communities
- Complete Streets
- Development Regulations
- Development Reports
- General Plan (Plan Houston)
- Geographic Data
- Historical Commission
- Historic Preservation
- Historic Preservation Manual
- Major Thoroughfare Plan
- Minimum Lot Size/Building Lines
- Off-Street Parking Ordinance
- Planning Commission
- Plat Tracker
- Prohibited Yard Parking
- Tower Commission
- Transportation Planning