Solid Waste Management Department
Solid Waste Management Department Information
Residential ServicesThe Solid Waste Management Department's services consist of:
- Weekly residential garbage collection
- Weekly yard waste collection
- Once-per-month collection of Tree Waste/Junk Waste (in alternating months)
- Curbside Recycling (check service schedule for availability)
- Dead animal collection
In addition, the SWMD operates waste, recycling and materials handling facilities at no additional fee to residents.
Commercial Dumpster PermitsIn order to obtain a Combustible Waste Storage Permit, you must complete an application.
|> Learn more about Commercial Dumpster Permits here...|
Citizens with Disabilities Application for Services
|> Application (.pdf)|
Special Collection Assistance for the Physically Challenged
The City of Houston Solid Waste Management Department (SWMD) offers physically challenged-customers special collection assistance at no additional cost to them. The SWMD offers this service to residents who qualify.
To obtain this service, submit a Service Request (SR) by calling 3-1-1 and a “Citizens with Disabilities Application for Services” form.
Specific details are as follows:
- The individual requesting assistance or their representative must call the city’s helpline at 3-1-1 to place an SR.
- After placing the SR, the “Citizens with Disabilities Application for Services” form must be submitted showing the physician’s certification that the individual is physically challenged and unable to place the container at the curb for collection. If there is more than one individual living in the home, one form will be submitted certifying that all individuals living in the home are physically challenged. The form is available on-line here.
- 311 will forward the SR to the SWMD who will then assign the SR to one of it's inspectors.
- The SWMD inspector will go to the home and confirm that the individual or individuals in the household are physically challenged.
- Special collection assistance will commence within seven to 10 days upon receipt of the physician’s certification and completion of the home inspection.
Sponsorship ProgramsSponsorship programs are set up by the City to allow homeowner associations the opportunity to obtain collection services beyond those provided by the City through a contractor of their choice. Homeowners’ associations are incorporated entities that have membership that consists of the owners of single-family residences in a defined geographic community.
|> Application (.pdf)|
|> Learn more about the Sponsorship Program|
Residential Garbage CollectionResidents of the City of Houston receive weekly automated garbage collection in which they receive a 96-gallon garbage cart. The automated collection system utilizes a technologically advanced system in which a mechanical side arm grabs the 96-gallon garbage cart, then lifts the container, collects garbage into the truck and returns the container to the curb.
Automated trash collection is cleaner, safer and more efficient than traditional manual collection. In the past, the department has incurred as much as $4 million in workers' compensation costs each year using manual garbage collection. The automated system has reduced injuries, especially back-related injuries, which are common in garbage collection.
The containers used for automated garbage collection are manufactured using 50% recycled materials.
Yard Trimmings RecyclingThe SWMD has also initiated a program that encourages the diversion of yard trimmings from landfills. Through techniques called "grasscycling" and "composting", residents can reuse their yard trimmings and return valuable nutrients to the soil. If residents choose to place their yard waste for SWMD collection, they must use a city-approved compostable bag.
When it comes to yard trimmings, you have options! Visit each tab for more information...
The yard trimmings collection service is offered to all citizens who receive the automated garbage collection service. Yard trimmings make up approximately 30% of the total residential waste stream in Houston. Recycling yard trimmings saves the city in landfill costs and extends the life of landfills.
Grass clippings, small branches, and leaves must not be placed in the automated garbage cans. They must be put in city-approved compostable bags, not weighing more than 50 pounds, and placed at the curb 3 feet away from the automated container for separate yard trimming collection.
Small branches may be put in bundles as long as each bundle is less than 4 feet in length, 18 inches in diameter, and not weighing more than 50 pounds.
Yard trimmings mixed with paper, plastic or any other type of waste will not be collected.
Dead Animal CollectionTo request a dead animal collection to be serviced by the City of Houston SWMD, please call 3-1-1 or submit an online service request here.
RecyclingIn an effort to make Houston a cleaner, greener place to live, the SWMD provides recycling and waste diversion services to the residents of Houston. For a complete detail about yard trimmings, residential recycling and waste diversion, visit the link below.
Extra Capacity Garbage CollectionDo you often have more trash than one garbage container can hold? Do you need to have an extra garbage bag that needs to be collected? The SWMD offers options to meet your extra garbage collection needs.
Neighborhood Depository/Recycling Centers(Accepts Tree Waste/Junk Waste and Recyclables. Service provided to City of Houston residents)
- North - 9003 N Main 77022
- Northwest - 14400 Sommermeyer 77041
- Northeast - 5565 Kirkpatrick 77028
- Southeast - 2240 Central Street 77017
- South - 5100 Sunbeam 77033
- Southwest - 10785 SW Freeway 77074
Neighborhood Recycling Drop-off LocationsRecycling Centers (Tree Waste/Junk Waste not accepted)
Environmental Service Center (ESC) Locations
|> Depository Rules and Regulations (.pdf)|
|> Depository Rules and Regulations - SPANISH (.pdf)|
|> Learn more about additional Houston Area Disposal facilities.|
These depositories may be used by the public free of charge. Each user must provide proof of residency using a current utility bill or City property tax receipt, and may use this facilities up to four times per month.
Neighborhood depositories will not accept household garbage, more than ten tires from an individual, and large quantities of building materials. Trash from commercial haulers is not accepted. Trash brought in a commercial vehicle (business or rented commercial) also will not be accepted.