The Mayor’s Office of Trade and International Affairs (MOTIA) has a deep rooted tradition of educating and training undergraduate university students in all facets of trade and international affairs. Interns that have completed our program are now working in different industries and government agencies throughout Houston and around the world. Interns learn firsthand what makes Houston a global leader in international industry, culture, and diplomacy by participating and contributing in MOTIA’s international programs and initiatives.
Each applicant is required to submit a writing sample, resume and cover letter. The intern coordinator will extend interviews to the top candidates and an internship offer to the final selected applicants.
Internship deadlines are:
- Spring semester – November 1st
- Summer semester – April 1st
- Fall semester – July 1st
Once the selection process is complete, interns will each be assigned a mentor, who will determine the interns' daily assignments and guide them through the duration of their internship.
MOTIA Internships require a minimum of 10 working hours a week. Interns must be willing to work consecutive business days (i.e. Monday-Tuesday, Thursday-Friday); special exceptions may be granted.
This is an unpaid internship, although college credit is available.
MOTIA interns will:
- Support meetings between the Mayor and other city officials with business and diplomatic delegation and dignitary visits.
- Work with the more than 92 foreign diplomatic representatives in Houston.
- Contribute to office administration, protocol services, social media, community outreach and international trade.
- Network and interact with a variety of international community leaders, foreign officials, and business delegations.
- Research and prepare support materials for diplomatic and international business development initiatives.
MOTIA Internship Application
- Go to Internship Application