Armed Suspect Fatally Shot at 8038 Turquoise

September 21, 2009 - A suspect who pointed a gun at Houston police SWAT officers was fatally shot at 8038 Turquoise about 10:40 p.m. on Saturday (Sept. 19).

The suspect, Gary R. Varner (w/m, DOB: 7-15-60), was wounded one time and pronounced dead at the scene.

Senior Police Officer R.L. Kent, who discharged his weapon, was not injured. Senior Officer Kent, assigned to the Tactical Operations Division, was sworn in as an officer in May 1992.

HPD Homicide Division Sergeant R. Blain and Officer E. Schmidt reported:

Officers were dispatched to a disturbance call involving weapons at the suspect's residence at 8038 Turquoise. Suspect Varner had pointed a gun at three neighbors while they were in the front yard of their home. Varner threatened to kill his neighbors and then retreated into his house, where he chased his wife and adult son out of the residence.

Varner fired multiple shots inside of his residence before officers arrived. When the first patrol officer arrived, Varner went to the front door, but refused to cooperate with the officer and chose to barricade himself inside. Varner went to the front door of his residence multiple times, yelling threats at officers. He also fired shots from inside of his home after officers arrived.

SWAT officers were called and the Hostage Negotiation Team etablished phone contact with Varner. About 10:40 p.m., Varner went to the front door of the residence carrying a handgun with an attached laser. He walked outside and pointed the weapon towards SWAT officers. At that time, Senior Officer Kent, fearing for the safety of his fellow officers, fired one time, striking Varner.

As is customary in HPD officer-involved shootings in the city limits, the incident is being investigated by the HPD Homicide and Internal Affairs Divisions as well as the Harris County District Attorney's Office.

JFC/JKS 9-21-09
Inc #137565509

For additional information, please contact the HPD Public Affairs Division at 713-308-3200 .

HPD is Hiring!