Solid Waste Management Department

Report Storm Damage

Hurricane Harvey Property Claim Information

  1. What should I do if my personal property was damaged by debris contractors as they made collection at my home?
    1. a. The process to file a claim with the City of Houston can be found at the following website: https://www.houstontx.gov/legal/fileclaim.html
    2. In addition to the above, you are encouraged to contact 311.
  2. Only my yard was damaged by the loading device as it picked up my debris and I only want to have the sod replaced or fill dirt. Is there a different process?
    1. No. Please follow the same procedures as outlined above.
  3. My car was struck by one of the debris work teams and damaged. Is the process still the same?
    1. Yes. For vehicular damage or any other claim , the process as outlined in question number 1 is the City’s claim process.

Article IX, Section 11, City Charter, City of Houston, Notice of Claim for Damages

“Before the City of Houston shall be liable for damages for personal injuries of any kind, or for injuries to or destruction of property of any kind, the person injured, or the owner of the property injured or destroyed, or someone in his behalf, shall give the mayor and city council notice in writing of such injury or destruction, duly verified, within 90 days after the same has been sustained, stating in such written notice when, where and how the injury or destruction occurred, and the apparent extent thereof, the amount of damage sustained, the amount for which claimant will settle, the actual residence of the claimant by street and number at the date the claim is presented, and the actual residence of such claimant for six months immediately preceding the occurrence of such injuries or destruction, and the names and addresses of the witnesses upon whom he relies to establish his claim, and a failure to so notify the mayor and city council within the time and manner specified herein shall exonerate, excuse and exempt the city from any liability whatsoever, provided that nothing herein shall be construed to effect or repeal section 12 of Article IX of this Charter. (Act of 1905, as amended October 15, 1913).”

Procedures to follow when filing a claim:

  1. Provide the information required in Article IX, Section 11, Notice of Claim for Damages, referenced above, in writing and sign the letter before a Notary Public; and
  2. Mail letter, with the following attachments (i) three property damage estimates, (ii) photographs of damage, if any, (iii) accident report, if available, (iv) photocopy of Certificate of Title of damaged vehicle, and (v) photocopy of medical bills, if any, and (vi) doctor’s narrative, to:

City Secretary’s Office
City of Houston
Post Office Box 1562
Houston, Texas 77251-1562
Facsimile No.: 832.393.1109

With a copy provided to:

City Attorney’s Office
Attn: Claims/Subrogation Section
Post Office Box 368
Houston, Texas 77001-0368

Facsimile No.: 832.393.6259
Telephone No.: 832.393.6393