Office of Business Opportunity
The Office of Business Opportunity (OBO) is continuing its efforts to promote the growth and success of local, small and historically underutilized businesses by ensuring their meaningful participation in the City's procurement process by offering monthly trainings through its Department Services Training Institute (DSTI). In conjunction with subject matter experts from various departments, OBO will cover a variety of topics that play a role in making the City's procurement process as competitive and diverse as possible. The OBO Department Services Training Institute provides monthly classes on topics such as:
- Setting Contract Specific Goals
- Commercially Useful Functions of Certified Firms: What It Means and How
- Departments Can Ensure Compliance
- U.S. Department of Transportation Funded Contracts Reporting
- Pay or Play Program
- Identifying Certified and Hire Houston First Firms to Work on Contracts
- Disparity Study: What's Next
DSTI classes will take place at 611 Walker Garden Level Auditorium from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. All City procurement, contract compliance and buying staff are encouraged to attend these trainings.
Department Services Training Institute Sessions
- Request for Proposal (RFP) Technical Writing Workshop (.pptx)
- Good Faith Efforts Policy Review Presentation - 08.08.2014 (.pdf)
- Maximizing MWSBE Participation Presentation November 2019
- POP Presentation September 2015
Questions regarding the Department Services Training Institute should be directed to OBO’s Procurement Specialists: Tifney Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 832.393.0626, or Derek Holmes at email@example.com or via phone at 832.393.0624.