Office of Business Opportunity
The Office of Business Opportunity is committed to cultivating a competitive and diverse economic environment in the City of Houston by promoting the success of small businesses and developing Houston’s workforce, with special emphasis on historically underutilized businesses and disenfranchised individuals.
OBO Survey to assess COVID-19-Related Small Business Needs
COVID-19 Related Health Information and General Updates
- Centers for Disease Control COVID-19 Updates
- CDC Guidance for Businesses
- City of Houston COVID-19 Information & Updates
- Harris County Novel Coronavirus (COVID - 19) Hub
- COVID-19 Houston Resource Pack form the University of Houston community Design Resource Center (rev. 3/24)
- Greater Houston Partnership COVID-19 Resources
- If you have questions on whether a business is essential, view this image or call 832.839.6941.
COVID-19 Related Emergency Financial Resources for Small Businesses
- Governor Abbott Announces Approval Of Emergency Designation For Small Business Disaster Loans From U.S. Small Business Administration
- COVID-19 (SBA) ECONOMIC INJURY DISASTER LOAN APPLICATION
- SBA Coronavirus (COVID-19): Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources
- Micro Loans applications accessible through Opportunity Fund
- Small Business Grants Offered by Facebook
- Liftfund: COVID-19 Disaster Relief Programs
- Google Commits $800+ Million to Support Small Businesses and Crisis Response
COVID-19 Related Small Businesses Programs, Webinars, and Other Resources
- SBA Events and Webinars
- Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Virtual Business Advising
- ICIC Small Business Resource Center
- Resources for Restaurateurs, Grocers, and Hospitality-Related Businesses
- Trufund Small Business Covid-19 Response Survey
- Other Resources offered by the SBA and SBDC
- GHBC Chamber Chat Webinar Series (.pdf)
Update Regarding Certification Workshops
We value the health and well-being of everyone who walks through our doors at the Office of Business Opportunity (OBO). In line with federal and local guidance to suspend convenings of 10 or more people, OBO is suspending the live in-person Certification workshops (typically held on Thursdays at 2:00pm) through the end of April 2020. Instead, we will offer you online Certification workshops available via the following links:
If you have questions after you have viewed the online workshops, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 832.393.0600 (Option 1). We appreciate your patience while the City assesses the situation and we will provide you with updates.
- Exporting Service Providers Information (.pdf)
- OBO Certification – Now completely online!
- HHF Application - Now Totally Online
Certifications and Designations
Contract Compliance and Reporting
About the Interim Director
Marsha E. Murray, Esq., was appointed by Mayor Sylvester Turner to serve as the Interim Director for the City of Houston’s Office of Business Opportunity (OBO) Department in September 2019. Prior to assuming her current role, Marsha served as the Chief Administrative Officer for the City’s Legal Department, as well as the Deputy Director for OBO. As Chief Administrative Officer for the Legal Department, she was responsible for strategically managing its operational and administrative needs to enhance its delivery of quality legal services. More ...
About OBO - In Other Languages