> Police >
Auto Dealers Detail - Storage Lot Operator
Home | Business Licenses | Individual Licenses | Vehicle Auction | Auto Dealers Detail FAQ | Automotive Repair Facility FAQ | Towed Vehicles FAQ | License Fee Schedule | Automotive Board | PATSA Contract | Heavy Duty PATSA Contract | PPSLA Contract | Contact Us | Background Check | Appointment Scheduling | FastPass Form | Forms | Wrecker Tow Zone map
Any person who engages in, conducts or carries on the public business of storing motor vehicles, including wrecked, damaged, and repossessed motor vehicles; provided however that this term shall not include those who store new motor vehicles pending the retail sales thereof nor those who own or operate lots or garages for the hourly or daily parking of motor vehicles. The term also shall not include any facility that is required to be licensed pursuant to the Vehicle Storage Facility Act (article 6687-9a, Texas Revised Civil Statutes) unless the facility in addition to keeping vehicles parked or stored without the owners' consent, as authorized by a license granted thereunder, keeps vehicles parked or stored with the owners' consent.
Fees: Initial application, Annual renewal • For fee schedules, go to www.houstoncityfees.org
Special restrictions apply
- Criminal background check - A criminal background check is conducted on new owners, a sole proprietorship, or an authorized person if the applicant is a corporation or a general partnership. The background check is conducted at a IdentoGO site. Please refer to the FastPass Form for instructions. After completing the background check, call the Auto Dealers Detail at 832-394-4800 between 48 to 72 hours to ensure the criminal history has been obtained.
- Application for Dealer License - Mail or present a fully completed application form.
- Attach copy of Deed Restriction Compliance Affidavit
- Attach copy of Certificate of Occupancy or Life Safety Inspection for your building
- If applicant is a corporation
- Attach copy of Articles of Incorporation
- Attach copy of letter of good standing from the Secretary of State
- Attach copy of Assumed Name Certificate if applicable.
- Attach copy of Survey or Plat of property with engineer's seal.
- Attach copy of Lease Agreement for property if applicable.
- Automotive Board review - The City of Houston Automotive Board reviews the application for each new business including consideration of the findings of a criminal background check.
- Notice of an Automotive Board public hearing on the business application is published.
- Approval or Denial is decided by the Board at the hearing