Created by city ordinance on March 15, 1916, the Department of Public Parks, as it was called at the time, began with two facilities, Sam Houston Park and Hermann Park (Code of Ordinances, City of Houston, Chapter 32, Article 1, Section 32-2). Today, the Houston Parks and Recreation Department (H.P.A.R.D.) system includes 370 developed parks and more than 220 greenspaces totaling over 37,851 acres.
On October 15, 2008, the department became one of only seventy-nine agencies in the country to have received national accreditation through the National Recreation and Park Association’s (N.R.P.A.) Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). This peer assessment and self-evaluation process provides external recognition of an organization's commitment to quality and improvement. The department was reaccredited in 2013 at the National Recreation and Park Association Congress and Exposition held in Houston.
The Houston Parks and Recreation Department (H.P.A.R.D.) is composed of four divisions:
Recreation and Wellness
This division oversees the operation and programming of the department’s 60 community centers, the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center (M.M.S.C.), and the Lee and Joe Jamail Skatepark.
This division oversees the daily maintenance of Houston’s parkland, esplanades, greenspaces, urban forests and manages the operation of Lake Houston Wilderness Park.
Facilities Management and Development
This division is responsible for the administration of the Parks Master Plan and individual park Master Plans, implements the Capital Improvement Plan (in coordination with the General Services Department), oversees and coordinates park system improvements and expansion, and provides Park Administration for Hermann and Memorial Park.
Management and Finance
This division oversees the operations of all aspects of accounting, purchasing, information technology services, safety, and grant writing for the department and includes liaisons for HR, Payroll and Workers Compensation.
The Communications Office is responsible for the public dissemination of information about the department and its programs. Its staff produces the department’s website and a wide range of printed material andhandles requests through the Texas Public Information Act and from local media sources.
Urban Park Rangers
Urban Park Rangers monitor trails, picnic areas, pavilions and similar park areas on foot, bicycle and motorized vehicles. Their visible presence helps deter vandalism, promotes visitor safety and insures the proper use of parks and facilities.
FACILITIES AND AMENITIES
- 370 Parks
- 180 Basketball Courts (63 Multi-Use Pavilions + 36 Full Courts + 81 Half Courts)
- 158 Baseball & Softball Fields
- 75 Baseball Practice Backstops
- 60 Community Centers
- 4 Disc Golf Courses
- 8 Dog Parks
- 5 Fitness Centers (staffed)
- 15 Football /Rugby/ Cricket/ Lacrosse Fields
- 7 Golf Courses (eighteen-hole)
- 1 Golf Course Junior (nine–hole course)
- 23 Gyms
- 143 Miles of Trails
- 4 Nature Centers
- 37 Pools (Outdoor)
- 1 Pool (Indoor for People With Disabilities)
- 225 Playgrounds
- 6 Playgrounds (Accessible or exceed A.D.A. requirements)
- 5 Skateparks (Above Ground)
- 1 Skatepark (In-Ground Lee and Joe Jamail Skatepark)
- 90 Soccer Fields
- 3 Tennis Centers
- 206 Tennis Courts
- 28 Tennis Backstops
- 10 Urban Garden Sites
- 17 Volleyball courts
- 23 Water Spraygrounds
- 13 Weight Rooms (no staff)
ACTIVITIES GUIDE & CLASS CATALOG
H.P.A.R.D.’s Fall Activities Guide and Class Catalog is available online now! Check out the listings for recreation, fitness, and educational opportunities you and your family can take part in!
REQUESTS FOR PUBLIC RECORDs
Houston Parks and Recreation Department
2999 S. Wayside Drive
Houston, TX 77023
Recreation and Wellness
- ADAPTIVE SPORTS AND RECREATION
- ADULT SPORTS/SPORTS LEAGUES AND RECREATION
- AFTER-SCHOOL ACHIEVEMENT PROGRAM (A.S.A.P.)
- AFTER SCHOOL ENRICHMENT PROGRAM (A.S.E.P.)
- AFTER-SCHOOL MEAL PROGRAM (A.S.M.P.)
- COMMUNITY CENTERS
- FITNESS CENTERS / GYMS
- SENIOR SPORTS AND RECREATION
- TENNIS CENTERS
- YOUTH SPORTS AND RECREATION
Permits and Reservations
- Jul. 14 - Let's Play Carnival Photo Opportunity
- Jun. 30 - Hermann Park July 4 Traffic
HPARD Calendar of Events