Urban Garden Program
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Imagine growing your own fresh produce for your family, including tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, and a cornucopia of other vegetables throughout the year.
The Urban Gardening Program provides gardening opportunities for interested community groups to transform SELECT gardening spots in parks into community gardens, with the assistance of The Urban Gardener. PLEASE NOTE: ALL PARKS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE for this project.
The Houston Parks and Recreation Department is here to support you! The Houston Parks and Recreation Department Urban Garden Manager oversees the project and helps community gardeners register, plan their garden. All community gardening lots must be used for gardens or farming only.
GARDENERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR OBTAINING ALL RESOURCES FOR THE GARDEN AND FOR THE DAY-TO-DAY MAINTENANCE AND OPERATION OF THE GARDEN.
Rebecca Zielinski – Urban Garden Manager
Rebecca has served as the Urban Garden Manager for HPARD since November 2016. She is a graduate of Texas A&M University with a bachelors in landscape architecture and a minor in horticulture. Her primary duties include overseeing the Urban Garden Program and assisting gardeners in developing and maintaining community gardens. She also is working to enhance the community gardens with native pollinator friendly plants to improve wildlife habitat and attract more pollinators to the sites. (Flier)
If you are interested in starting a garden in your community please register online.
If you have questions about the Urban Garden Program, are interested in becoming involved with an existing garden, or have any concerns, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join us for a garden party at Shady Lane Park, 9:00 a.m., Saturday, June 3, 2017! Flier
URBAN GARDENS LOCATIONS
- Burnett-Bayland Park - 6000 Chimney Rock, 77081
- Cloverland Park – 11800 Scott, 77047
- Freed Park - 6818 Shady Villa, 77055
- Independence Heights Park - 601 East 35th, 77022
- Levy Park - 3801 Eastside, 77098 (Closed until further notice, due to construction)
- Mandell Park (Meredith Gardens) - 1500 Richmond Avenue, 77098
- Metropolitan Multi-Service Center - 1475 West Gray, 77019
- Nellie Keyes Park - 801 Lester, 77007
- Shady Lane Park – 10220 Shady Lane, 77093
- Sunnyside Park - 3502 Bellfort, 77051
- Aggie Horticulture http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/
- American Community Gardening Association www.communitygarden.org/
- Harris County Master Gardeners http://hcmga.tamu.edu/
- Health and Human Service Department http://www.houstontx.gov/health/Community/community_garden_program.html
- Texas Cooperative Extension Service - Harris County http://harris-tx.tamu.edu/
- The National Gardening Association www.garden.org/urbangardening/
- Urban Harvest http://www.urbanharvest.org/
ACTIVITIES GUIDE & CLASS CATALOG
H.P.A.R.D.’s Summer Activities Guide & Class Catalog is available online now! Check out the listings for recreation, fitness, and educational opportunities you and your family can take part in!
REQUESTS FOR PUBLIC RECORDs
Houston Parks and Recreation Department
2999 S. Wayside Drive
Houston, TX 77023
Recreation and Wellness
- ADAPTIVE SPORTS AND RECREATION
- ADULT SPORTS/SPORTS LEAGUES AND RECREATION
- AFTER-SCHOOL ACHIEVEMENT PROGRAM (A.S.A.P.)
- AFTER SCHOOL ENRICHMENT PROGRAM (A.S.E.P.)
- AFTER-SCHOOL MEAL PROGRAM (A.S.M.P.)
- COMMUNITY CENTERS
- FITNESS CENTERS / GYMS
- SENIOR SPORTS AND RECREATION
- TENNIS CENTERS
- YOUTH SPORTS AND RECREATION
Permits and Reservations
- Jun. 5 - Summer Food Service Program
- May 25 - Summer Swim Season Kicks Off
HPARD Calendar of Events