HISTORIC PRESERVATION APPEALS BOARD (HPAB)
After September 1, 2021, the Houston Preservation Appeals Board (HPAB) will conduct meetings at the City Hall Annex in accordance with the provisions of Section 551.127 of the Texas Government Code. The Chair will be present in the room, though staff, board members, and the public may attend in person, or through a video conference link using Microsoft Teams.
To join the meeting, please see the following options:
- In-person meeting at: 900 Bagby Street, City Council Chamber, Public Level, Houston, Texas
- Join Microsoft Teams Meeting via the web
- Meeting Date / Time: Monday, Novembetr 28, 2022 at 9:00 A.M.
- Agenda: 11.28.2022 Agenda
- Online Meeting via Web Browser: https://bit.ly/3U3Dkyh
- Call-In Option: +1 936-755-1521
- Conference ID: 775 886 66#
- Make Comments by Phone: 832-393-6556
Note: Scheduled meetings are held only if there is a posted agenda.
November 28, 2022 Agenda
I. Approval of the October 10, 2022, Historic Preservation Appeals Board Minutes
II. Consideration of and possible action on an appeal of the decision of the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission on October 10, 2022 for a Certificate of Appropriateness for 615 Heights Blvd in Houston Heights South Historic District
|Address||Application Type||Historic District|
|615 Heights Blvd (Exhibit A)||Certificate of Appropriateness - Demolition Action Report||Houston Heights South|
|615 Heights Blvd (Exhibit B - ADU)||Certificate of Appropriateness - New Construction ADU Action Report||Houston Heights South|
|615 Heights Blvd (Exhibit B - SFR)||Certificate of Appropriateness - New Construction SFR Action Report||Houston Heights South|
|615 Heights Blvd (Exhibit C)||Certificate of Appropriateness - HPW Inspectors Notes and Documentation||Houston Heights South|
|615 Heights Blvd (Exhibit D)||Certificate of Appropriateness - Photo Documentation Provided by Former Agent||Houston Heights South|
|615 Heights Blvd (Exhibit E)||Certificate of Appropriateness - Staff Site Visit Photo Documentation||Houston Heights South|
|615 Heights Blvd (Exhibit F)||Certificate of Appropriateness - Stop Work Order Issued||Houston Heights South|
|615 Heights Blvd (Exhibit G)||Certificate of Appropriateness - Administrative Hearing Decision||Houston Heights South|
|615 Heights Blvd (Exhibit H)||Certificate of Appropriateness - Unofficial Transcript of 09.08.2022 HAHC Meeting RE: 615 Heights Blvd||Houston Heights South|
|615 Heights Blvd (Exhibit I)||Certificate of Appropriateness - Unofficial Transcript of 10.20.2022 HAHC Meeting RE: 615 Heights Blvd||Houston Heights South|
|615 Heights Blvd (Exhibit J)||Certificate of Appropriateness - Official Minutes of September 8, 2022 HAHC Meeting||Houston Heights South|
|615 Heights Blvd (Exhibit K)||Certificate of Appropriateness - Unofficial Minutes of October 10, 2022 HAHC Meeting||Houston Heights South|
III. Consideration of and possible action on proposed 2023 HPAB Schedule
IV. Public Comment
The Houston Archeological and Historic Commission reserves the right to convene an Executive Session on any item listed on this agenda as authorized by the Texas Open Meetings Act, Texas Gov’t Code Chapter 551, under any applicable exception, including but not limited to Sec. 551.071, Consultation with Attorney.
Download the Microsoft TEAMs program application for free at https://products.office.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/download-app. Please note that your computer requires speakers and a microphone in order to use Microsoft Teams. A free smartphone version of this app is also available from the Apple Store or Google Play.
Basic Virtual Meeting Instructions
- Join the meeting via the link or by phone.
- After joining, stay muted to minimize background disruptions. Please turn off your video to minimize transmission delays and protect your privacy.
- If you are recognized by the Chair to speak, unmute yourself and consider turning on the app’s video during your speaking time.
- State your name, spell your last name if requested, and make your comments in the specified time allowed. Say if you are in support, against, or undecided, and conclude when prompted.
- To mute or unmute yourself on the phone, press *6. On the computer, use the microphone icon.
- Please turn off your video after speaking. Remember, your image and background are made public.
The public may address the Historic Board on agenda items. Please submit comments or sign up to speak at least 24 hours in advance of the meeting. All comments are made part of the public meeting record.
- Submit comments on an item via email to email@example.com.
- You may also call the Historic staff at 832-393-6556. A staff member will take your comments, which will be read and included in the public record.
- The Appellant will be allowed to speak first and is allowed five minutes for an opening presentation. All other speakers will be called on in the order of sign up and can speak for one minute. See agenda for speaker guidelines.
If you have materials or graphic information for the Historic Board to consider, submit it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org 24 hours in advance of the scheduled meeting for it to be included in the final agenda packet.
Concluding the Virtual Meeting
Please hang up or disconnect to leave the meeting.
About the Board
The Historic Preservation Appeals Board (HPAB) is a 5-member board that hears appeals of decisions by the Houston Archaeological & Historical Commission (HAHC).
An applicant may appeal the decision of the HAHC by filing a written notice of appeal within 10 days of the HAHC decision (for demolitions, between 90-120 days after the HAHC decision). The written notice of appeal must include the grounds for the appeal and any supplemental material the appellant wishes the Board to review. The HPAB will not consider new information introduced at the hearing itself. Please see the adopted HPAB Procedural Rules (.pdf).
An email to the Planning & Development Department Houston Office of Preservation (HOP) staff is sufficient as written notice. Once an appeal request is received, staff schedules the hearing within 45 days, and notifies all parties of the date and time. The appellant is required to post a public notice sign on the property no later than 10 days prior to the hearing. See sign requirements (.pdf).
The HPAB may find in favor of the appellant, or uphold the decision of HAHC. In order to preserve the right to further appeal to City Council, the appellant may choose to hire a court reporter at the applicant’s expense.
- Truman Edminster, Position One
- J.D. Bartell, Position Two, Chair
- Douglas Elliott, Position Three, Vice Chair
- Rob Hellyer, Position Four
- Libby Viera Bland, Position Five
- Samantha Bruer, Archivist, Houston Metropolitan Research Center
- Margaret Wallace Brown – Director, Planning and Development, or
- Jennifer Ostlind - Deputy Director, Planning and Development
- Meeting Agenda October 10, 2022 | 8823 Dover St.
- Meeting Agenda September 13, 2021 | 7806 Santa Elena | 215 Bayland
- Meeting Agenda August 10, 2020 | 7710 Dillon St. | 7603 Wilmerdean St.
2022 HPAB Meeting Minutes
2021 HPAB Meeting Minutes
2020 HPAB Meeting Minutes
2019 HPAB Meeting Minutes
2018 HPAB Meeting Minutes
2017 HPAB Meeting Minutes
2016 HPAB Meeting Minutes