Historic Preservation Appeals Board (HPAB)
Beginning July 13, 2020, Historic Preservation Appeals Board meetings will be held virtually on the Microsoft TEAMs platform. Historic Board meeting links and instructions to join the virtual meeting are posted below. The meeting agenda includes speaker guidelines and a list of items being considered. If social distancing is no longer required, the meeting will be held in the City Hall Annex Chambers, Public Level, 900 Bagby Street, Houston, Texas 77002.
- Meeting Agenda: August 10, 2020
- Online Meeting Link via App: Join Microsoft Teams Meeting
- Online Meeting via Web Browser: https://bit.ly/3gy0mKk
- Call-In Option: +1 936-755-1521 | 281-925-7241
- Conference ID: 275 906 811#
- Make Comments by Phone: 832-393-6556
Download the Microsoft TEAMs program application for free at https://products.office.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/download-app. Please note that your computer requires speakers and a microphone in order to use Microsoft Teams. A free smartphone version of this app is also available from the Apple Store or Google Play.
Basic Virtual Meeting Instructions
- Join the meeting via the link or by phone.
- After joining, stay muted to minimize background disruptions. Please turn off your video to minimize transmission delays and protect your privacy.
- If you are recognized by the Chair to speak, unmute yourself and consider turning on the app’s video during your speaking time.
- State your name, spell your last name if requested, and make your comments in the specified time allowed. Say if you are in support, against, or undecided, and conclude when prompted.
- To mute or unmute yourself on the phone, press *6. On the computer, use the microphone icon.
- Please turn off your video after speaking. Remember, your image and background are made public.
The public may address the Historic Board on agenda items. Please submit comments or sign up to speak at least 24 hours in advance of the meeting. All comments are made part of the public meeting record.
- Submit comments on an item via email to email@example.com.
- You may also call the Historic Commission at 832-393-6556. A staff member will take your comments, which will be read and included in the public record.
- • Speakers will be called on in the order of sign up and can speak for two minutes. See agenda for speaker guidelines.
If you have materials or graphic information for the Historic Board to consider, submit it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org 24 hours in advance of the scheduled meeting for it to be included in the final agenda packet.
Concluding the Virtual Meeting
About the Board
The Historic Preservation Appeals Board (HPAB) is a 5-member board that hears appeals of decisions by the Houston Archaeological & Historical Commission (HAHC).
An applicant may appeal the decision of the HAHC by filing a written notice of appeal within 10 days of the HAHC decision (for demolitions, between 90-120 days after the HAHC decision). The written notice of appeal must include the grounds for the appeal and any supplemental material the appellant wishes the Board to review. The HPAB will not consider new information introduced at the hearing itself. Please see the adopted HPAB Procedural Rules (.pdf).
An email to the Planning & Development Department Historic Preservation staff is sufficient as written notice. Once an appeal request is received, staff schedules the hearing within 45 days, and notifies all parties of the date and time. The appellant is required to post a public notice sign on the property no later than 10 days prior to the hearing. See sign requirements (.pdf).
The HPAB may find in favor of the appellant, or uphold the decision of HAHC. In order to preserve the right to further appeal to City Council, the appellant may choose to hire a court reporter at the applicant’s expense.
- Truman Edminster , Position One
J.D. Bartell, Position Two
Douglas Elliott , Position Three
Tanya Debose, Position Five
- Laney McAdow Chavez, Archivist, Houston Metropolitan Research Center
- Margaret Wallace Brown – Director, Planning and Development
HPAB Meeting Documents
2019 HPAB Meeting Minutes
2018 HPAB Meeting Minutes
2017 HPAB Meeting Minutes
2016 HPAB Meeting Minutes