Parking Management is a Division of the Administration & Regulatory Affairs Department. By servicing and maintaining 9,200 on-street parking spaces across the Greater Houston area, Parking Management creates sound regulations for all commercial and residential areas enhancing pedestrian safety, ensuring a smooth flow of traffic and allowing emergency vehicles to reach their destinations. Parking Management also encourages parking awareness while supporting public transit initiatives..
To be a solution-focused partner that supports the City of Houston’s economic development goals by providing superior customer service, investing in cutting edge technologies and through active collaboration with diverse user groups
To be the premier municipal parking organization in the country.
Like many communities, the City of Houston strategically places parking meters in areas where parking is in high demand. By managing curb-space, meters allow more drivers to easily find parking and identify spaces designated for public use. Meters also help create parking turnover by keeping spaces from being used for extended periods. On-street and lot meter durations, rates and times vary according to the time demand at each location. Meter durations range from 30 minutes to 10 hours, depending on parking needs. Rates also vary and are predetermined according to parking studies performed before meters are installed.
- Manage over 9,000 parking meter spaces throughout the City by collecting, maintaining and enforcing more than 1,000 smart parking meters capable of accepting payment by cash, coin, bill or cell phone.
- Assist neighborhoods with chronic commuter parking problems through the Residential Permit Parking program.
- Develop Neighborhood Parking Management Plans to empower neighborhoods with tools to ease parking issues.
- Provide on-street parking permits
- Operate 19 surface parking lots
- Administer the Parking Ambassador Program with a focus on customer service and compliance
- Educate neighborhoods about public safety and parking regulations through our Community Outreach Program
- Responsible for the administration of on-street regulations in Chapter 26.
- Establishment of the first citizen-led Parking Commission in the state of Texas.
- Replaced existing meter plant with smart meters that accept coins, bills and credit cards and operate on a WiFi network, contributed to a 70% increase in meter revenue from FY07 – FY09.
- Named Municipal Parking Organization of the Year for 2007 by the International Parking Institute.
- Rehabilitated the seven parking lots under the Pierce Elevated; improving safety in the area and generating an additional $200K annual contract parking revenue.
- Implemented an 80-hour Ambassador Program for the training of Enforcement Officers.
- Established Community Outreach Program to educate neighborhoods on public safety and parking regulations. Presented to over 70 civic organizations.
- In partnership with the Department of Public Works and Engineering, added 65 ADA compliant parking spaces in the Central Business District, doubling the number of accessible parking spaces.
- Updated and organized all parking related ordinances to Chapter 26.
Contact Parking Mgmt
Parking Management Division
Houston, TX 77003
Parking Management Links
- Parking Management Home Page
- Accessible Parking
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Info / Contact Us
- News / Press
- Parking Meters Information
- Parking Permits
- Parking Tips
- Pay A Citation
- Residential Parking Permits
- Resolve A Citation
- Resolve A Citation - Espanol (.pdf)
- Violation Codes
- Volunteer Parking Enforcement
- Washington Avenue PBD