Office of Business Opportunity
Certification & Designations - Certification Process
- The minority or female business owner must possess at least 51% ownership, management, and control of the business enterprise.
- The minority, female, or small business owner must have the training and expertise to perform the work, and where required, have a license or certificate issued in his or her name.
- The business must be for profit, independent, and currently functioning.
- The business must maintain a significant and local presence in Harris, Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Liberty, Montgomery, San Jacinto, or Waller County.
- The business must meet the Small Business Administration Size Standard(s) for its industry classification(s).
- Persons with Disabilities Business Enterprise (PDBE) certification require applicants to submit a Disability Affidavit and an accompanying letter from a State of Texas certified medical doctor. The person with a disability will be required to meet the same criteria for certification as MWBE/SBE applicants.
- For Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) certification, applicant must have a personal net worth of less than $1,320,000 – excluding value of home and ownership interest in the business. There is no local presence requirement.