BARC Animal Shelter and Adoptions
Ready to turn in a pet to BARC? STOP! and read this
Things to do BEFORE You Consider Giving Up a Pet
Turning In An Animal to BARC
1. Cats or dogs may be turned in to BARC only by residents of the City of Houston. Residents are defined as people who live within the city limits, and pay utility (water) bills to the City of Houston. Please note that your postal address may read Houston, Texas yet you may reside outside the city jurisdictional limits.
2. Proof of residency is required for all turn-ins: valid Texas driver's license, state issued ID, and most recent utility bill, evidencing your current address.
3. BARC is closed on Mondays and Thursdays, and accepts animal turn-ins all other days from Noon until 5pm. If you live outside the city jurisdiction, we will do our best to direct you to the appropriate agency.
If you live outside the city jurisdiction, we will do our best to direct you to the appropriate agency.
By becoming a pet owner, you are making a commitment to care for an animal during it’s entire life. Surrendering your pet should be last on your list of options when facing difficulties and considered only under the most dire of circumstance.
Please see below for other organizations that may be able to assist you:
IMOM Inc.: IMOM.org
The Pet Fund: thepetfund.com
Good Sam Fund: goodsamfund.org
RedRover Relief: www.redrover.org/grants
RedRover Domestic Violence Safe Escape: www.redrover.org/domestic
Angels for Animals: angels4animals.org
Brown Dog Foundation: browndogfoundation.org/home
Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Program: fveap.org
Feline Outreach: felineoutreach.org
Cats In Crisis: catsincrisis.org
The Perseus Foundation (cancer-specific): PerseusFoundation.org
Canine Cancer Awareness: caninecancerawareness.org
Cody's Club (radiation treatments): codysclub.bravehost.com/
Diabetic Pets Fund: petdiabetes.net/fund/
The Mosby Foundation: themosbyfoundation.org
Magic Bullet Fund (cancer-specific): themagicbulletfund.org
The Binky Foundation: binkyfoundation.org
God's Creatures Ministry Veterinary Charity: http://www.all-creatures.org/gcm/help-cf.html
Jake Brady Memorial Fund: http://www.myjakebrady.com/memorial_fund.shtml
GiveForward (set up a personal fundraising page): http://www.giveforward.org/
Below are local organizations that provide financial assistance to pet owners in need. These links provided by the United States Humane Society:
(Please be aware that each organization is independent and has their own set of rules and guidelines. You will have to investigate each one separately to determine if you qualify for assistance).
SPCA of Texas (veterinary care assistance programs for senior, disabled or ill pet owners)
Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine "The Capper and Chris Save the Animals Fund" (veterinary care assistance)
Animal Friends -- Connie Clinic: Brenham (low-cost spay/neuter, vaccinations,; heartworm treatment)
Pet Pals of Texas: Converse (pet food, supplies, and general pet care assistance for elderly or disabled residents)
Houston Humane Society: Houston (spay/neuter assistance)
SPCA of Polk County: Livingston (pet food, spay/neuter assistance)
Spay-Neuter Assistance Program: Multiple Locations (spay/neuter assistance)
Pet Prevent A Litter of Central Texas: San Marcos (pet food and litter, spay/neuter assistance)
Spay/Texas: Statewide (spay/neuter assistance)
If you are still looking for assistance, click here for a link to the Humane Society web page for dog breed specific veterinary care programs, financial aid programs, service animal veterinary assistance and other helpful cash raising ideas.
- BARC Home Page
- BARC Blog
- Hours of Operation
- Our Location
- Donate to BARC
- About BARC
- Before Turning In A Pet To BARC
- License Your Pet
- Fixin' Houston Spay / Neuter Clinic
- Adopt A Pet / Search Adoptable Pets
- Canine Manners Classes
- About Trap-Neuter-Return
- Become a TNR Colony Manager
- Get Involved!
- Externship Opportunities
- Our Wellness Center
- Lost a Pet?
- Healthy Pets Healthy Streets
- Enforcement Information
- Asilomar Accords
- Helpful Links
- Press Releases Archive