BARC Animal Shelter and Adoptions

Ready to turn in a pet to BARC? STOP! and read this

Things to do BEFORE You Consider Giving Up a Pet

Turning In An Animal to BARC

1. Cats or dogs may be turned in to BARC only by residents of the City of Houston. Residents are defined as people who live within the city limits, and pay utility (water) bills to the City of Houston. Please note that your postal address may read Houston, Texas yet you may reside outside the city jurisdictional limits.

2. Proof of residency is required for all turn-ins: valid Texas driver's license, state issued ID, and most recent utility bill, evidencing your current address.

3. BARC is closed on Mondays and Thursdays, and accepts animal turn-ins all other days from Noon until 5pm. If you live outside the city jurisdiction, we will do our best to direct you to the appropriate agency.

If you live outside the city jurisdiction, we will do our best to direct you to the appropriate agency.

By becoming a pet owner, you are making a commitment to care for an animal during it’s entire life. Surrendering your pet should be last on your list of options when facing difficulties and considered only under the most dire of circumstance.

Please see below for other organizations that may be able to assist you:

IMOM Inc.:
The Pet Fund:
Good Sam Fund:
RedRover Relief:
RedRover Domestic Violence Safe Escape:
Angels for Animals:
Brown Dog Foundation: 
Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Program:
Feline Outreach:
Cats In Crisis:
The Perseus Foundation (cancer-specific):
Canine Cancer Awareness:
Cody's Club (radiation treatments):
Diabetic Pets Fund:
The Mosby Foundation:
Magic Bullet Fund (cancer-specific):
The Binky Foundation:
God's Creatures Ministry Veterinary Charity:
Jake Brady Memorial Fund:
GiveForward (set up a personal fundraising page):

Below are local organizations that provide financial assistance to pet owners in need. These links provided by the United States Humane Society:

(Please be aware that each organization is independent and has their own set of rules and guidelines. You will have to investigate each one separately to determine if you qualify for assistance).

SPCA of Texas (veterinary care assistance programs for senior, disabled or ill pet owners)

Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine "The Capper and Chris Save the Animals Fund" (veterinary care assistance)

Animal Friends -- Connie Clinic: Brenham (low-cost spay/neuter, vaccinations,; heartworm treatment)

Pet Pals of Texas: Converse (pet food, supplies, and general pet care assistance for elderly or disabled residents)

Houston Humane Society: Houston (spay/neuter assistance)

SPCA of Polk County: Livingston (pet food, spay/neuter assistance)

Spay-Neuter Assistance Program: Multiple Locations (spay/neuter assistance)

Pet Prevent A Litter of Central Texas: San Marcos (pet food and litter, spay/neuter assistance)

Spay/Texas: Statewide (spay/neuter assistance)

Other Resources:
If you are still looking for assistance, click here for a link to the Humane Society web page for dog breed specific veterinary care programs, financial aid programs, service animal veterinary assistance and other helpful cash raising ideas.