(Updated July 10, 2020) Based on additional guidance from the Houston Health Department, cashiering services are closed and will remain closed until further notice. Please use our online services to complete your transactions. We will continue to accept mailed payments, but processing may be delayed.
Original Notice June 26, 2020: We are continuing certain measures to protect our permittees, as well as our employees. To minimize the number of customers in the lobby, we now can process payments online and are working to put more of the process online. We have instituted an appointment system to receive in-person assistance.
Conducting Business with ARA:
In-person visits to the Houston Permitting Center must be scheduled by appointment, only when necessary. If you need an in-person service, please go to www.houstonpermittingcenter.org and follow the steps below:
- Click “Schedule” at the top right-hand side of the page.
- When the page loads, you will click on the button, "schedule an appointment" and select "next".
- On the next page, select "ARA Regulatory Affairs" and select "next".
- On the next page, select the “Vehicles for Hire” and select "next".
- On the next page, you make select any of the dates highlighted in blue and then select a time, once you have done that, select "next".
- On the next page, you input all your contact information and select "next"
- The next page is a review of your appointment time and information. If all looks good, click "confirm"
- You will receive an email with all your confirmed appointment. You will need to bring that either on paper or via your phone to be allowed into the Houston Permitting Center. Also, all customers are required to wear a mask in the building. Please make sure you wear a mask.
If you prefer to social distance by not coming to the Houston Permitting Center, you may email your questions or concerns or renewal documents to ARAVehiclesForHire@houstontx.gov.
Administration and Regulatory Affairs
Vehicle for Hire Permitting and Enforcement
1002 Washington Avenue
Houston, TX 77002
Phone: 832.394.8803 | Fax: 832.395.9632
Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Vehicle for Hire Permitting and Enforcement Section is responsible for issuing licenses and permits to the operators and drivers of several different categories of vehicles-for-hire that include taxicabs, limousines, private school vehicles, scheduled ground transportation, charter sightseeing vehicles, pedicabs and low-speed shuttles. The Vehicle for Hire Permitting and Enforcement Section also performs field enforcement ensuring compliance by the drivers and operators of vehicles for hire.
Vehicle-for-Hire operators should refer to the appropriate city code for specific details and requirements for operations/services: Code of Ordinances, City of Houston.
** All Fees for vehicle for hire permits and licenses can be found on the City fee schedules. **
- For fee schedules, go to www.houstoncityfees.org
Service Complaints (revised 09.09.2019)
If you have a complaint about a driver or company please complete the complaint affidavit (.pdf). The complaint affidavit must be completed and notarized before any administrative action can be taken against any driver. The form can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 832.395.9632.
Directors Rules and Regulations - Chapter 46
The City of Houston forms are .pdf documents.
- VFH-001 – Temporary Licenses (updated March 2016)
- VFH-002 – Pedicab Policy – Colors
- VFH-003 – HLL Numbers
- VFH-004 – Payment Notification
- VFH-005 – Limo Driver Western Wear
- VFH-007 – Taxi Credit Card (updated April 2019)
- VFH-008 – TNC Provisional Background Check
- VFH-009 – TNC Third-Party Background Check
- VFH-010 – Warrant Checks
- VFH-012 – VFH Data Submission Guidelines
- VFH-015 - Taxicab Permit Eligibility Requirement - the "10/5/2 Rule"
- VFH-016 - Taxicab Meter Rates
- VFH-017 - Salvaged Titled Vehicles
The City of Houston forms are .pdf documents.
If you are looking for a form that is not listed please contact the Vehicle for Hire Permitting and Enforcement Section at 832.394.8803. All proof of insurance for vehicle for hire permits MUST be submitted by the insurance agent on the State approved Accord 25 form.
- Application Packet – Wheelchair Accessible Service Provider Company Permit (.pdf, published January 2018)
- Vehicle-for-Hire Vehicle License/Permit (Non-Taxicab) Application Packet (.pdf, updated September 2019)
- Accident Reporting Form (04.10.2015)
- Add / Drop Vehicles Form (updated September 2019)
- Applicant Packet - COH Drivers License (.pdf, updated August 2018)
- Lost or Stolen City Drivers License Affidavit (updated October 2016)
- Lost or Stolen Permit Decals (updated October 2016)
- School Vehicle Permitted Drivers List Form
- School Vehicle Schools List Form
Vehicles for Hire
(Each person wishing to drive a Vehicle-for-Hire in the City of Houston must obtain a City issued Driver’s License)
Taxicabs (more info on Taxicabs)
- City of Houston 2012 Taxicab Rate Study
- Vehicle Age Suspension Ordinance 2011-35 and Ordinance 2012-1113
Chauffeured Limousine Services (more info on Limousine Rates)
Sightseeing and Charter Services
Private School Vehicles
Low Speed Shuttles
City of Houston Code of Ordinances - Chapter 8
Non Consent Tow Rates
Complaints: Contact Houston Police Department Auto Dealers
- PHONE: 713.308.1440