Frequently Asked Questions
Chartered by the City of Houston, the Office of Talent & Organizational Development promotes and fosters a culture of continuous learning through an array of advanced and diverse programs in support of the organization’s commitment to employee development and enrichment that maximizes efficiency linked to professional and organizational skills.
A collection of frequently asked questions for OT&OD programs have been organized for the City of Houston workforce.
Click each question below for expanded information.
City-Wide New Employee Orientation (NEO) FAQ
The city-wide New Employee Orientation is a program developed by the Human Resources Department to provide new employees with relevant information about the City’s operations, rules, and policies. It also will provide information about benefits and some of the programs. It is mandated by Administrative Policy 3-33: Orientation for New Employees and New Supervisors.
• All newly hired civilian or municipal employees.
• All rehired civilian or municipal employees rehired after December 28, 2015 and who have not successfully completed the city-wide new employee orientation within the twelve-month period preceding the rehire date.
• We offer it twice a month, on the first and third Wednesdays of the month. You should take the session that is the closest to, but after your start/report to work date.
• You need to take it within your first 30 days.
• Orientation begins at 8:30 am and is all day.
• Please join the orientation 10-15 minutes early for registration form completion
• Classified (non-civilian) personnel of the Houston Police Department or Houston Fire Department are not required to take the City-Wide New Employee Orientation.
• Cadets of the Houston Police Department and Houston Fire Department are not required to take the City-Wide New Employee Orientation.
• No. You need to have already reported to work and began working for the City of Houston prior to your attending City-Wide New Employee Orientation.
• You are allowed to register for City-Wide New Employee Orientation prior to the date you start working for the City. Select the session closet to, but after your start date.
• Go to the following website: www.houstontx.gov/ldc.
• Click on the Calendar of Classes option under Navigation on the right.
• Click the City-Wide New Employee Orientation button.
• Click on the date for the session closest to, but after your start date. You will be taken to a website (forms.office.com) and asked to fill out a form.
• Fill out all fields in the form. Click Submit at the end of each page.
• Once you see “Thank you for registering for City-wide New Employee Orientation. You will not receive an email confirmation.” you have registered successfully.
• For more detailed instructions, please click the link: https://www.houstontx.gov/ldc/pdfs/NEO_Registration_Info.pdf
• The form does not generate an email when you have completed the it. If you saw a “Thank you for registering for City-wide New Employee Orientation. You will not receive an email confirmation.” message on your screen, you registered successfully.
• You should receive an email from HR New Employee Orientation called “Things to Know Before Attending: City-Wide New Employee Orientation” within a week of your registration.
• If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com or 832-395-4890.
• That could be one of the following issues:
- 1. First, the orientation email with the access link is sent to the email address you provided, and to your manager, no later than the FRIDAY PRIOR to the orientation date.
- 2. Second, please check your spam folder as it may have ended up there.
- 3. You can also check with your manager for the link.
• City-Wide New Employee Orientation is held virtually over the Microsoft Teams Live Event platform.
• To attend, you need to have filled out the registration form with an email address that you check regularly.
• Open the orientation email and click on the button that says, “Click Here to Join Live Orientation”
• A computer, tablet, or smartphone is required to attend the orientation.
• If using a browser, use Google Chrome.
• You will also need to make sure that you can hear it. If you work in a cubicle or office environment, you may need to use a headset, headphones, or earbuds to listen to the orientation.
• A microphone is not required.
• Please get with your manager to see if your schedule can be adjusted to accommodate your attending City-Wide New Employee Orientation. Or see if a different session would be better for you to attend.
• If the orientation date you want to select isn’t clickable, registration isn’t available for it yet. Orientation registration is refreshed every other week, so if you are wanting to select a certain date wait for it to be made available.
• Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating the problem and we will see to its correction.
• Just register for the next available orientation. You can visit this link to do so: https://www.houstontx.gov/ldc/calendar_of_classes.html
• Registration for City-Wide New Employee Orientation is not available in the Talent Management System. You must register via the Calendar of Classes page.
• It can take us several days to verify the attendance and ensure that proper credit is given. Once everything is verified, we will provide the credit in the Talent Management System. You should receive an email from the Talent Management System letting you know that learning is complete for City-Wide New Employee Orientation once we have done so.
• If you haven’t received an email from the Talent Management System a week after the orientation date, let us know at email@example.com or 832-395-4890.
• No. In order to receive credit, you must be present for the entire orientation.
• Failure to successfully sign in and out will result in an “Unsuccessful” completion and you will be required to attend the next one.
• Links are shared during the orientation that you will need to click to ensure signing in and out.
• Please have your manager contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible and explain your situation. We may be able to work something out. We address these situations on a case-by-case basis, and you and your manager will receive an email from us letting you know your options.
• Special-case accommodations must be received several days in advance of the orientation date.
• Email us at email@example.com telling us the specific issue and with what file. We will see that it gets corrected.
• Yes! There are several helpful resources for you on the City-Wide New Employee Orientation Resources Page. You can find the link here: https://www.houstontx.gov/ldc/new_employee_orientation_resources.html
• Yes. Downloading copies of the presentations does not replace attending the orientation.
• No. Departments and divisions may provide new employees with a separate orientation related to the functioning of their department. It is possible that you attended a department or area orientation prior to attending the city-wide one.
• Please check with your manager. Some departments require temporary employees to attend.
• City-Wide New Employee Orientation is not recorded. However, you can download copies of all presentations used during the orientation on the City-Wide New Employee Orientation Resources webpage.
City Accreditation Program for Supervisors (CAPS) FAQ
• The City Accreditation Program for Supervisors (CAPS) is the premier supervisory and management training program sponsored by the Office of Talent & Organizational Development.
• Comprised of 18 sessions set into components, an HR overview based on policy and the second component consists of key leadership development workshops. The primary purpose of the program is to equip managers and supervisors with the organizational and leadership knowledge and skills that will enable them to thrive in a municipal environment while engaging high performing and engaging teams.
• Currently CAPS is offered twice a year during spring (starting in February) and fall (starting in July) with the next application window for the 2023 CAPS programs opening in December 2022.
• All program days are 8 hours long on Thursdays unless otherwise noted.
• The CAPS program is geared toward first time or frontline City of Houston supervisors and managers. It is not offered to non-City of Houston employees.
- All Applicants must:
- • Must have served in a supervisory position for 5 years or less.
- • Have prior Manager/Director Approval (Authorization form request sent to confirm participation and cost).
- • Must be pay grade 17-24.
- • Must have completed New Supervisor Orientation (NSO as well as New Employee Orientation (NEO).
- • Must administer HEAR Plan (performance evaluations).
- • Applicant must not currently be on disciplinary action.
- • Must be able to commit to all 18 sessions and additional web-based training.
• No, the CAPS program has a fee. Please contact OT&OD by emailing OTODCAPS@houstontx.gov for current pricing.
*Please note that the price of the program is subject to change.
• Participants will develop skills needed to lead effectively, while also widening their leadership strategy and thought process to help engage with their teams in innovative and creative ways.
• When the application period is open all City of Houston employees with a valid email address will receive an email notification including the application link and submission deadline date.
• Program participants will be notified after being accepted.