BARC Animal Shelter and Adoptions

Declaring a Dog as Nuisance

Public Nuisance dog (Chapter 6, Article VI, Section 151) means any dog that meets one of the following conditions:

  1. Substantially interferes with the right to enjoyment of life or property by persons other than the owner by acts including, but not limited to, frequent, long, or continued barking or howling, repeated defecation on property other than that of the owner, or damaging property other than that of the owner;
  2. Attacks domestic animals;
  3. Is documented by Animal Enforcement, a police officer, a neighborhood protection official or a member of the public to be running at large three or more times in a 12-month period; or
  4. Is one of a number of dogs or other animals maintained on the property owned or controlled by its owner so as to be dangerous to the public health, safety or welfare.

For purposes of this section, if a dog is documented to be at large three or more times in a 12-month period by a member of the public, such documentation must consist of photographic evidence with a date and time stamp and in which the dog can be clearly identified.

How to Declare a Dog as a Nuisance
In order to open a Nuisance Dog case, an original, signed notarized affidavit or unsworn statement is required from the person making the complaint. Emailed, or other electronic statements are not sufficient for a designation to be made. An unsworn statement does not have to be notarized, but it may be used as evidence in a legal proceeding, and the person making the statement may be asked to testify. A statement form may be found here.

The affidavit/statement must contain a description of the events, with the dates and beginning to end times of the incidents that caused the person making the complaint to believe the dog in question to be a Public Nuisance dog as defined above. The date and times must be specific, for example: 1-1-2016 1am to 6am: The dog was in the back yard and barked continuously.

Statements or notarized affidavits and other documentation may be mailed to:

BARC/Animal Enforcement 
Attention: Animal Control Manager
2700 Evella
Houston, Texas, 77026

The statements may also be brought to the BARC facility during business hours at 3200 Carr St. Houston,Texas, 77026

For questions please call 311 to contact the City of Houston Animal Control Managers.

Chris Glaser at 832-395-9026, Sunday through Wednesday, or
Christopher Miller at 832-395-9023, Wednesday through Saturday.