Employees, spouses, and retirees under age 65 are eligible to participate in the City of Houston Wellness program. Employees and their covered spouses earn a medical discount rate for their 2020-2021 medical benefits for completing the program. Retirees are ineligible to earn a discount, but will be entered to earn a gift card for their participation.
Complete the three steps below by the deadlines to earn up to $900 off your 2020-2021 medical plan rate.
Step 1 – Annual Exam
Employees and covered spouses: Visit your physician for your annual physical exam by January 31, 2020 to earn 10%. Obtain your biometric measurements from your annual preventive exam. Your biometric measurements must be from February 1, 2019 or later.
You need up-to-date measurements for your:
- Blood pressure Total and HDL cholesterol
- Waist circumference
Step 2 – Health Assessment
Employees and covered spouses: Use your up-to-date measurements to complete the online Health Assessment at myCigna.com between May 1, 2019 – March 13, 2020 to earn 10%.
TIP: Be sure to use biometrics from February 1, 2019 or later. Don’t choose answers like “I don’t know” for your biometrics and answer all the questions.
Step 3 – Wellness Engagement
You must complete this final step to earn a discount on your 2020-2021 medical plan rate.
Employees and covered spouses: Complete one of the five wellness engagement options between March 9, 2019 – March 8, 2020 to earn 80%.
- Option A: Preventive Care
- - Available: February 1, 2019 – January 31, 2020
- Option B: Telephonic Coaching
- - Available: March 9, 2019 – March 13, 2020
- Option C: Onsite Health Education Programs
- - Available: May 1, 2019 – March 13, 2020
- Option D: Achieve a Health Goal
- - Available: February 1, 2019 – January 31, 2020
- Option E: Smoking Cessation Program
- - Available: February 1, 2019 – March 13, 2020
Complete your Health Assessment early to earn greater Healthy Awards amounts
Active employees who complete the 2019 Health Assessment will be granted Healthy Awards funds for the 2020-2021 medical plan year based on the date of completion (assuming completion of the remaining 90% of the Wellness Program). Employees who complete the Health Assessment sooner will be eligible for a greater award amount.
See the Healthy Awards Fund FAQs
Download the reimbursement form
Cigna Limited Plan
- All Services Provided by Physician Groups – Submit a Claim Reimbursement Form (paper or online; download a pdf of the form) to Cigna for eligible expenses paid with personal funds*
- Eligible Pharmacy Claims at Point of Sale - Healthy Awards Account funds will be deducted automatically; no need to submit a claim reimbursement form
- Inpatient/Outpatient services in a hospital facility – Healthy Awards Account funds will be deducted automatically; no need to submit a claim reimbursement form
*Cigna will pay back for eligible expense via check.
Cigna Consumer Driven Health Plan
- All Medical Services - Healthy Awards Account Funds will be automatically deducted AFTER you deplete your Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) funds
- Eligible Pharmacy Claims - Healthy Awards Account Funds will be automatically deducted AFTER you deplete your Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) funds
- All Medical Services – Healthy Awards Account funds will be deducted automatically; no need to submit a claim reimbursement form
- Eligible Pharmacy Claims at Point of Sale – Healthy Awards Account funds will be deducted automatically; no need to submit a claim reimbursement form
To access your Healthy Awards Account, check balances, and track transactions, login to MyCigna.com, hover over “Manage Claims & Balances” and click on “Balances & Account Transactions”.
For questions or assistance with your Healthy Awards Account, please contact an Onsite Cigna Representative at 832-393-6191, 832-393-6192 or 832-393-6193.
Spread the Wellness WordEmployee Wellness Advisory Council (EWAC)
The Employee Wellness Advisory Council (EWAC) creates an environment that supports healthy lifestyles and offers opportunities for employees to optimize their health and well-being. EWAC members represent a variety of departments within the City of Houston. The Council acts on behalf of departments not represented and will seek input from those departments through regular communication. All departments have an opportunity to have representation on the Council as members. If you are interested in becoming a member of the Employee Wellness Advisory Council, please complete the online application in the resources section.
Wellness Connection thanks you for volunteering to create a culture of health and wellness within the City. Your motivation and enthusiasm will help others in leading healthier lifestyles.Wellness Ambassadors
Would you like to become more involved with employee wellness for your department?
Wellness Ambassadors play a vital role in supporting the mission of Wellness Connection. Because of the unique bond between them and their coworkers, Ambassadors have an advantage in motivating their colleagues to achieve a healthier lifestyle. Time commitment for Wellness Ambassadors is very minimal, estimated at two hours per month and two informational meetings per year.
2013 Well Workplace Gold Award - Wellness Councils of America
2012 American Heart Association Fit Friendly Awards
Houston's Healthiest Employer Award
The City of Houston Health and Wellness Program was honored to be selected as a Finalist in the Houston Business Journal’s Houston’s Healthiest Employer Award in the category for “Extra Large Employers” (5,000 or more total employees). We received this designation with other distinguished employers such as Baylor College of Medicine, BP, Chevron, Harris Health System and more.
We could not have achieved this designation without the hard work of employees like you who improved their overall health and wellbeing by participating in our various Health and Wellness Programs.