The Civil Service & EEO Division serves all City departments by providing City employees with a forum to address issues and concerns, as well as promotes compliance and training in the areas of EEO and ADA.

The Civil Service & EEO Division coordinates and administers the activities for the Municipal Employees’ Civil Service Commission, and the Firefighters’ and Police Officers’ Civil Service Commission. This division also coordinates and administers the Classified and Municipal grievance processes as mandated by the Texas Local Government Code, the City of Houston Code of Ordinances, the City Charter, and recognized labor union agreements.

The division also monitors labor union activities between the City and recognized labor unions as well as provides administrative supports to ensure contract compliance of recognized labor union agreements.


The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.

A copy of the current approved EEOP Utilization Report is available to view online. If you would like to review a copy of the EEOP Utilization Report in person, please visit the Human Resources Department, Civil Service & EEO Division located at 611 Walker, 4th Floor, Houston, TX 77002.

Arbitration image


If you are experiencing ADA issues please contact the ADA coordinator.

For Sexual Harassment issues please call the hotline at 832-393-7200.

To report employee misconduct please contact the Office of Inspector General to file a complaint.

For training and development please contact the Talent & Organizational Development.

Firefighters, Police Officers and Municipal Employees’ Civil Service Commission (CSC)

The Firefighters and Police Officers’ Civil Service Commission and the Municipal Employees Civil Service Commission were created by Article V(a) of the City Charter, City of Houston Code of Ordinances Chapter 14, and the Texas Local Government Code Chapter 143, and the current Meet and Confer Agreement between the City of Houston and the Houston Police Officers Union.

General Powers

  1. To administer the Civil Service law as set out in the rules and regulations governing such bodies;
  2. To serve as the board of appeals for a suspended or aggrieved employee who has invoked review procedures under the provisions set forth;
  3. To conduct such hearing fairly and impartially under such provisions; and,
  4. To render a fair and just decision considering only the evidence before them in such hearing.

This commission’s jurisdiction includes but is not limited to indefinite suspension appeals, approval of medical separation requests, appeals of corrective actions for classified employees, Step IV appeals on classified grievances, and all other duties associated with the classification system, classified promotional system, appointment of physicians, psychologists or psychiatrists on fitness for duty requests, and the compensation systems for all employees set out in the City Charter, the Code of Ordinances and Chapter 143 of the Texas Local Government Code.

For more information regarding the Firefighters and Police Officers’ Civil Service Commission and the Municipal Employees Civil Service Commission please click here.

up icon

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I file an appeal to an indefinite suspension, temporary suspension, reduction in pay or involuntary demotion?

Please visit the Civil Service & EEO Division located at:

611 Walker, 4th Floor, Room 411, Houston, TX 77002
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

No appointment is needed.

Classified Fire or Police Union Members – Please contact your local union.

1600 State Street, Suite 200
Houston, TX 77007
Tel: 832-200-3420

HPFFA Local 341
1607 Freeman Street
Houston, TX 77009
Tel: 713-223-9166

What are the grievable issues for bargaining unit members under the current HOPE/City of Houston Meet & Confer Agreement?

  1. Non-selection for a promotion to a referred position
  2. Hazardous working conditions not intrinsic to the job
  3. HEAR evaluations with an overall rating of 2.99 or less
  4. Failure to receive a HEAR evaluation if delayed more than six months
  5. Failure to be paid overtime, bilingual pay, or compensatory time if eligible, appropriate, and worked
  6. Written reprimand or Level II
  7. Decision Making Leave (DML) Day
  8. Temporary suspensions of 15 days or less

How do I obtain grievance forms to start the grievance process?

Please contact your departmental grievance coordinator to obtain grievance forms to start the grievance process. View the current list to select a department grievance coordinator for your department.

Who is on the Grievance Review Committee?

The committee is comprised of two city employees designated by the HOPE union, two city employees designated by the City, and a chairperson, who is faculty member from an accredited law school in the City of Houston or someone who has experience teaching and/or practicing in the arear of labor and employment law. The chair of each committee meeting serves voluntarily on a rotating basis.

Can I have a representative at my Grievance Hearing?

Yes, you may be represented and that person does not have to be an attorney. However, the representative may not be another city employee unless they have been certified by the Labor Management Cooperation Council (LMCC) as a Department Union Representative (DUR) or they are a probationary DUR per the HOPE/City of Houston Meet & Confer Agreement.

Do I have to submit a request for an ADA accommodation in writing?

No, but it’s the preferred method to ensure your request is acted upon. Contact the ADA Coordinator if you need assistance with this.

My boss is making unwanted passes at me. What should I do?

Contact the Sexual Harassment Hotline @ 832-393-7200 for advice and referral.

I have a chronic medical condition that is slowly getting worse, making it harder to work. I’m afraid to say anything to my supervisor for fear of losing my job. What should I do?

Contact the ADA Coordinator for advice. You have certain rights under the law, but you should make arrangements for an accommodation before you start missing work and losing your job through corrective action.

up icon

Department Information

611 Walker, 4th Floor
Houston, TX 77002
Benefits: 832-393-6000
Main: 832-393-6100
Safety Hotline: 832-393-7233