Welcome to the City of Houston Summer Jobs Program! This summer, city departments are opening their doors to provide opportunities for you to earn while you learn about what it takes to serve the residents of the nation’s 4th largest city. Most positions are for 32 hours per week, at $8.00 per hour.
The application will open February 19, 2018 and close March 23, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
To be eligible to participate in the program, you must be between the ages of 16 and 21 by June 12th, and live in a City of Houston council district. To find your City Council district, access the following link, http://mycity.houstontx.gov/houstonmapviewer/ where you will enter your address, and Council District information will be displayed.
Opportunities will be available in a variety of City departments, and include:
The City of Houston is a great and interesting place to work. Completing your application is an important first step. It is important to know that more youth will apply for the Summer Jobs Program than there are openings, so we cannot guarantee that you will receive an interview.
After completing the application, you will be asked to select a date for Job Readiness Training. You must complete the training in order to be considered for an interview. All applications must be submitted online. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Make sure you take the time to answer all questions.
Before you begin the online application, make sure you have:
- The approximate dates of any previous employment.
- Your correct social security number.
- An email address. If you do not have an email address, please set one up and return to the application. You can get free email accounts through many services, such as GMail, Yahoo or Hotmail.
- Phone numbers and/or email addresses for 2 references (preferably not family or friends).
- Your response to each of the following questions should be at least 50 words. We recommend that you write your responses before starting the application.
- Why should you be selected for this work experience opportunity?
- What is the greatest challenge faced by youth your age in your community, and how can you help things get better?
- What are your career goals?
Ready to apply?
If you are not eligible to participate in the City of Houston’s Summer Jobs program, check out other summer employment opportunities at: hirehoustonyouth.org.
Need access to a computer? Visit your area library for access to the SJP application between February 19 and March 23.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (832) 393-6148.