If you are ready to quit using tobacco, take advantage of a free City of Houston Tobacco Cessation Program.
Tobacco Cessation Program Registration Requirements:
Please reserve your spot for the “Living Tobacco-free Program” on *Eventbrite.
*Our next Onsite Tobacco Cessation program will start in July 2020
- Spaces are LIMITED to 10 employees per class.
- Please provide a complete mailing address to receive your FREE “Living Tobacco-free Kit” prior to the start of your workshop. It takes an average of 10 – 14 days to receive your kit.
- FREE Nicotine Replacement patches or gums will be mailed to employees upon the completion of the Initial NRT assessment at class 1. It takes an average of 10 – 14 days to receive nicotine replacement therapy.
- Register for a group class through Eventbrite and provide a complete mailing address to receive a “Living Tobacco-Free Kit”, 2 weeks prior to start of class.
- Attend at least 6 of the 8, 30-minute onsite group classes and meet a goal to reduce tobacco usage to remove the tobacco user surcharge and earn 80% towards your 2020-2021 Win for Life Program.
- Complete the Tobacco Initial Assessment and the Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRTs) questionnaire at initial session to obtain NRTs.
Tobacco User Discount
Employees, Spouses, Retirees, and Retiree spouses who have self-identified as a tobacco user are assessed a $17.50 bi-weekly additional charge to their medical premiums beginning May 1, 2020.
To discontinue this additional surcharge, tobacco users can complete one of two options:
- ) Quit smoking independently, complete and return a tobacco attestation form (notarized) indicating that they are no longer a tobacco user. Form is available online in the City of Houston Benefits Library.
- ) Enroll and participate in Tobacco Cessation Program (telephonic or onsite)
Upon receipt of the attestation form or completion of the tobacco cessation program, the tobacco user surcharge will be removed from employee’s paycheck. Each individual tobacco user must return a form or participate in the Tobacco Cessation Program to qualify for the surcharge removal.
Wellness Program Participation
To receive Wellness Program participation for completing the Onsite Tobacco Cessation Program, an employee or spouse must complete the following:
- Attend at least 6 of the 8, 30-minute onsite group classes and meet a goal to reduce tobacco usage to earn 80% for the Win for Life program under Option E.
- If an employee completes the Health Assessment and an annual physical, then they will earn 100% therefore earning the annual wellness discount.