Here at the City of Houston, each employee is valued for their individual skills, talents and contributions to the success of our resilient city. And when it comes to health, we empower our employees with a comprehensive set of benefits designed to protect their physical and emotional well-being.
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Reimbursement
- Long Term Disability
- Supplemental Plans
Cigna Limited Plan
- All Services Provided by Physician Groups – Submit a Claim Reimbursement Form (paper or online; download a pdf of the form) to Cigna for eligible expenses paid with personal funds*
- Eligible Pharmacy Claims at Point of Sale - Healthy Awards Account funds will be deducted automatically; no need to submit a claim reimbursement form
- Inpatient/Outpatient services in a hospital facility – Healthy Awards Account funds will be deducted automatically; no need to submit a claim reimbursement form
*Cigna will pay back for eligible expense via check.
Cigna Consumer Driven Health Plan
- All Medical Services - Healthy Awards Account Funds will be automatically deducted AFTER you deplete your Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) funds
- Eligible Pharmacy Claims - Healthy Awards Account Funds will be automatically deducted AFTER you deplete your Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) funds
- All Medical Services – Healthy Awards Account funds will be deducted automatically; no need to submit a claim reimbursement form
- Eligible Pharmacy Claims at Point of Sale – Healthy Awards Account funds will be deducted automatically; no need to submit a claim reimbursement form
To access your Healthy Awards Account, check balances, and track transactions, login to MyCigna.com, hover over “Manage Claims & Balances” and click on “Balances & Account Transactions”.
For questions or assistance with your Healthy Awards Account, please contact an Onsite Cigna Representative at 832-393-6191, 832-393-6192 or 832-393-6193.
Who is Eligible?
All full-time and part-time employees who work an average of 30 hours per week or more are eligible to participate in the City of Houston’s medical plan offerings.
Eligible employees may also be enroll the following eligible dependent(s) to their plans:
- Legal spouse,
- Natural or adopted children to age 26,
- Children to age 26, over whom you have legal guardianship or legal foster care,
- Grandchildren and stepchildren to age 26 if they qualify as your dependents for federal income-tax purposes and live with you,
- A dependent child who is 26 or older, primarily supported by you, and incapable of self-sustaining employment by reason of mental incapacity, physical disability or handicap which arose while the child was covered as a dependent under these plans, or while covered as a dependent under prior city plans without a break in coverage.
- Upon applying and receiving third party medical administrator’s approval, proof of the child’s
condition and dependence must be submitted within 31 days or the child ceases to qualify
- Dependents (children and grandchildren) for whom a court order has been received requiring the employee to provide healthcare coverage, provided HR Benefits receives the court order within 31 days after issuance.
Please note that contractors and temporary employees ARE NOT eligible.
How do I enroll?
You have 30 days from your hire date to make enrollment elections using your SAP Employee Self Service (ESS) portal, and/or provider websites and submit required supporting documents to the Benefits Division. Please contact HITS at 832.394.HITS for username and password assistance.
If you fail to enroll in benefits during your first 30 days, you will not be eligible to participate in the City’s benefit offerings until the annual Open Enrollment period, or if you experience a qualifying life event.
457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan
Houston Municipal Employee Pension System
Houston Firefighters’ Relief and Retirement Fund
Houston Police Officers’ Pension System
Employee Assistance Program
Paid Time Off
Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Required Supporting Documents
Eligible Dependent - An eligible dependent is your legal spouse and any child (natural, adopted, foster, grandchild, stepchild, and a child for whom you are legal guardian and/or have legal support obligation) who is your dependent for federal income tax purposes, resides with you, and is under age 26.
Disabled children age 26 and over - Child must be primarily supported by you, and incapable of self-sustaining employment by reason of mental incapacity, physical disability or handicap, which arose while the child was covered as a dependent on a city plan without a break in coverage. Upon applying and receiving third party medical administrator’s approval, proof of the child’s condition and dependence must be submitted within 31 days or the child ceases to qualify for benefits.
Important - If both you and your spouse work(ed) for the city, you may be covered as an employee/retiree or as a dependent - but not both. Dependents may be enrolled under only one parent or guardian.
If you are a hire new within 30 days of your start date, please complete your enrollment through your SAP Employee Self-Service (ESS) Portal AND submit the above requested documentation within 30 days of your start date to the Benefits Division.
If you are beyond your first 30 days of hire and want to make changes to your current benefits enrollment, you will need to submit the Benefits Eligibility Processing Form AND proof of a Qualifying Life Event to the Benefits Division within 31 days of the event.
Qualifying Life Events
Outside of the annual Open Enrollment period, you can change your benefit coverage only if you experience a qualifying life event. You have only 31 days from the qualifying life event to notify the Benefits Division. Complete the necessary paperwork and submit the required documentation.Qualifying Life Events are defined as:
- Marriage, divorce or legal separation,
- Adoption or birth of a child,
- Death of a spouse or child,
- A child on your policy turns 26,
- Loss or gain of benefits coverage due to a change in spouse's employment status
Use the secure form to submit your documents.