The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) entitles you to up to 12 weeks of job-protected leave each Benefit Year (September 1-August 31) for specified family and medical reasons. The reasons specified in the act are:
- incapacity due to pregnancy, prenatal medical care or child birth;
- to care for the employee’s child after birth, or placement for adoption or foster care;
- to care for the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent who has a serious health condition
- for a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the employee’s job
- for "qualifying exigencies” resulting from a family member being on covered active military duty or called to such duty, or
- to take up to 26 weeks of FMLA to care for a covered servicemember.
To be eligible for FMLA benefits you must have worked for the city for at least 12 months and have been physically at work for at least 1,250 hours during the 12-month period preceding the date leave begins. You are required to use your accrued paid leave (vacation or sick time in the case of your own illness) in order to be compensated while on FMLA leave.
For detailed information regarding FMLA, please contact your assigned FMLA coordinator.